Troubleshooting the HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac936

Baseband Member
My neighbor said his computer suffered a surge and no longer boots into windows. I took a look at his desk set up and he has a surge protector, so I warned him about the dangers of brown-outs and power outages. I told him about UPS's.

Now to fix his computer. I swapped his hdd out with a known working one to see if it would boot. Is this a valid test? I also put his hdd into a known working tower to see if it would boot. Is this a valid test? Both tests failed. My test logic tells me his hdd is bad, AND something else on his tower is bad thats causing the post to fail. Now thinking about it I'm not sure if this would even work with 2 known working hdd hence my question here. For reference both have xp installed already, and the working machines resumed working when I put them back. So my question is:

If you swap hdd's that both have windows xp installed, should they both boot?

If no, how can I quickly test his hdd? Because my concern is that test results may not be accurate if his cpu / bus line / or ram is bad.

By swapping hard drives from another computer, windows will usually will not startup because of different hardware configurations.

Check and see if the hard drive is detected in the bios, or put the "bad" hard drive into a working computer as a secondary drive to see if you can detect it in bios or windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom