External HDD Fell Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
So basically im really careful with my external hdds because I've had too many experiences with failed hdds and data loss. Today my external was on my desk and a wire knocked it over (it was standing vertically) with a loud crash. First thing i did was switch it off. Im downloading Tech tool now (as im on a Mac) and im gonna scan for errors or whatever. But like realistically, whats the damage something like that can cause? The drive was idle and stands a roughly six inches tall and i knocked it over. The drive is a BUFFALO TECH 1TB Drive station. I know that drives these days are built more durable and with motion sensors and stuff so that the drive head or needle or whatever gets parked (im dont really know what im talking about here lol) so that the platters dont get scratched.

So what im asking is, realistically, what kind of damage can a fall like mine do to a hdd. I don't really trust the reilability of the drive anymore and so i need to store my files elsewhere and would rather not buy a new drive.

Well, it could have killed the drive but it's unlikely if it only fell over. Was the drive reading/writing at the time?

Nah it was idle. It lame that SMART dosen't work over USB.

At school one of our external drives was dropped off the desk several times from a height of ~3 feet before it died.

I guess what im worried is that now the drive is more prone to mechanical failure. Its taken a blow and is not as "healthy" as it once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom