Upgrading Network and Broadband Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisbullen

Beta member
Good day all,

I'm new here but have a question regarding PC comunication speeds. I'm considering upgrading my network from 54g to N, but am a little confused about the benefits. Not sure if I've got this right, please bear with me,

ADSL2+ giving 3.5 Megabytes/sec (paying for 8) 54 Megabit/sec router. Working on the assumption that 1 megabyte = 8 megabits, the router is offering 6.75 Megabytes/sec, which is faster than the internet connection.

What therefore is the benefit of a 300Megabit/sec router??? Again, if I use an ADSL2+ modem with a 100 Megabit/sec Lan cable, how can the 300 Megabit transfer rate be any use for accessing the internet unless you have a 12 plus Megabyte/sec connection???

I understand the benefit for file transfer and HD video & audio streaming within the network, but is this the only benefit?? I'm sure I've missed something here!!

Thanks in advance
Chris

The only advantage is as you have stated in file transfers. It will not increase internet browsing speeds at all. I move a ton of data around my network and gigabyte ethernet is a must for me but it does not help my internet at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom