I need some help deciding on parts for a new build please

Status
Not open for further replies.
64 or 32 bit? No point getting that much RAM if you can't use it all. Oldskool, I don't think they made an AGP 8400GS so you should be fine.

Yeah, I figured I would be ok, and my GeForce is definitely a PCI board, I just wanted to make sure it would be compatible with most of today's motherboards. But it's nice to run it by you guys first of course ;)

@ Muffin Man, I'm talking about the Ram speed. The ram you linked for the board is PC6400 240Pin yadda yadda. Basically 4GB for 60 bucks which is 15 a GB right? I was asking if the speed in this ram would suffice the build or should I look for some thing cheaper?

I mean, the people I'm building for will be using a 32bit OS. So if you could point me in the direction of some other ram sticks i'd appreciate it.

So Muffin Man, quick question about the RAM. I see that the motherboard supports up to 16 GB RAM. Is there a decent brand of RAM chips that I could buy to max out the full 16 GB? What kind of applications would use 16GB or RAM other than games ? Computer graphics design, or 3D CAD maybe ?

In other words, is anything over 4GB of memory more than I would need for most moderate uses, from playing video, downloading music, you know, basic stuff. I have never had a system with over 2 GB so I was just wondering if I should go with more than the 4GB you suggested ? (I am also asking this with the intention of getting as much RAM as necessary, while still being enough for the next 2 or 3 years).

honestly, i cant think of anything that would use 16gigs, except servers?, idk. the way i kind of understand it is, if you have 2gigs of ram but youre only using 1gig, youre still gonna use only 1gig even if you upgrade to 4 gigs. that said, my knowledge on this is only but a fraction compared to other members, but i really doubt youll be needing 16gigs anytime soon.

i didnt suggest more than 4 gigs though, you had said that you wanted as much ram as possible with w/e mobo you were gonna buy in your first post, but 16 gigs would not fit your budget since the cheapest desktop 4gig ram module is costing $145 at newegg, so youd be looking at $580 just for ram. i did find some slightly cheaper server ram costing $94, but i have no idea whether that ram is any different than desktop ram (even though they are both ddr2), and whether it would work. due to those issues, since you seemed to be after as much ram as possible, i said that you could get two 2x2gig kits.

4 gigs should be more than enough for your needs, so i would just get 4gigs. if you find that it is not enough later on, just get 4 more, that simple :)

honestly, i cant think of anything that would use 16gigs, except servers?, idk. the way i kind of understand it is, if you have 2gigs of ram but youre only using 1gig, youre still gonna use only 1gig even if you upgrade to 4 gigs. that said, my knowledge on this is only but a fraction compared to other members, but i really doubt youll be needing 16gigs anytime soon.

i didnt suggest more than 4 gigs though, you had said that you wanted as much ram as possible with w/e mobo you were gonna buy in your first post, but 16 gigs would not fit your budget since the cheapest desktop 4gig ram module is costing $145 at newegg, so youd be looking at $580 just for ram. i did find some slightly cheaper server ram costing $94, but i have no idea whether that ram is any different than desktop ram (even though they are both ddr2), and whether it would work. due to those issues, since you seemed to be after as much ram as possible, i said that you could get two 2x2gig kits.

4 gigs should be more than enough for your needs, so i would just get 4gigs. if you find that it is not enough later on, just get 4 more, that simple :)

So Muffin Man, quick question about the RAM. I see that the motherboard supports up to 16 GB RAM. Is there a decent brand of RAM chips that I could buy to max out the full 16 GB? What kind of applications would use 16GB or RAM other than games ? Computer graphics design, or 3D CAD maybe ?

In other words, is anything over 4GB of memory more than I would need for most moderate uses, from playing video, downloading music, you know, basic stuff. I have never had a system with over 2 GB so I was just wondering if I should go with more than the 4GB you suggested ? (I am also asking this with the intention of getting as much RAM as necessary, while still being enough for the next 2 or 3 years).

^^ @Muffin,

Lol I didn't say that you suggested more than 4GB, I said is there any reason that I should consider more than the 4GB that you had already mentioned.

In other words, is the 4 you mentioned enough ? That's what I meant. Thanks again for your added postings by the way. :)

@ Puddle,

Thank you as well for your input, I will go back to your post and review your ideas. Much appreciated !

oh ok, i wasnt argueing your post or anything like that, i guess just the way i read your post made it seem to me that you wanted a lot of ram.

but yea, 4gigs is good.

oh ok, i wasnt argueing your post or anything like that, i guess just the way i read your post made it seem to me that you wanted a lot of ram.

but yea, 4gigs is good.

Yeah, as much as I need with some room to grow so to speak, be feasible for running Win 7, yet not be overkill. That was the goal. I could have maybe been a bit clearer anyways. ;)

I am mulling things over, but will order parts in a few weeks after more consideration. Thanks for everything to all that responded so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom