Replacing CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump

Baseband Member
so as said in my other posts "something is wrong with my build. i went to an IT tech. at the place i worked and he went through everything and we concluded that the problem was the processor. I have tri core processor and for my replacement i am going to buy a quad core but i got confused to which one will work with my motherboard

i have this motherboard: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards which says it is a AM2+/AM2

my processor is Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
which is AM3..so maybe the problem was that they did not match? this build was suggested by trotter so my question is should i be looking an AM2+ or another AM3?

i was thinking Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops
would it work with my processor?? (and whats a CPU magazine?)

the x3 710 isnt a problem, it will work in both am3 and am2+ mobos, you can rest assured Trotter knows what hes talking about :)

yes, the x4 940 will work with your mobo. the cpu magazine is just a gift bundled with the cpu. its basicly what it says it is, a magazine. i dont know whether its just one issue or a subscription, dont worry about it.

about your problem, did the 710 not work at all from the beginning, or did it work for some time? i ask because maybe you need to flash the mobo's bios for it to work, which isnt uncommon, sometimes the boards just come like that from the factory, with an older bios verison.

thank you for the reply

it worked for about 3 months and now when i boot my computer all the fans spin for a second and then it shuts down.

today i tryed it without the videocard, same problem. without the ram, same problem. without the cpu, it does not shut down right away concluding that the cpu is the problem

and yes i used a jumper to flash the bios and also i sent my mobo back and gigabyte said that there is no problem with it.

so upgrading my CPU which is a better deal

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

or

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

or

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

ok. maybe you can still return the cpu for a replacement.

out of those 3, i would go with 945 or 955, because they are am3, so you can still use them if you decide to upgrade in the future to an am3 mobo and ddr3 ram. the 955 will probably be better for OCing though, since its got an unlocked multi.

thanks. well i plan to send mine back but the process of RMA takes too long and i havent been able to use my computer in months. so i am going to get a new one and have this one for a backup or maybe a second build down the road. hopefully the processor is the problem tho haha.

thanks for the replies.

So the CPU was the problem the whole time... i just want to know how it happened so i can stop it from happening again.

do i need to apply thermal paste or do new cpus come with some on the heatsink already? ive downloaded programs to watch the temps. right now the cores are all at 38'C, is that normal?

IMPORTANT!!!!

can my power supply handle my new cpu?? so far ive gotten 2 instances where my monitor went black and i couldnt get back on even tho my computer was running fine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom