Status
Not open for further replies.

SNiPeRViRuS

In Runtime
hey guys,

since no one really answers in the overclocking forums i will ask here

i have an nvidia 6800
i have read that peple have overclocked it to like 400/800 from 325/700

should i do that directly or in small increments like the kangaroo FAQ says?

Err, small increments!! All cards are different, some will clock to way above their spec, others won't go 5mhz above it.

Small incriments, because you are way more likely to run into trouble if you do it all at once, because you could do too much. All cards are different, and some can handle allot more than others.

Did anyone tell you overclocking was quick and easy? Running 3Dmark will show any errors, especially in nature test - you'll see white sparkles on the water, or patches where textures are corrupt. As long as you're not getting any artifacts then you can push it a bit further. When you get sparklies or anything that shouldn't be there, back off the o/c a bit (core or memory) and then let 3dmark loop for a couple hours and see if it behaves.

It's all trial and error though so can't give you any fast rules to stick by except don't push too far too quick!

You have to raise the frequency in small increments for two reasons.

Each time the frequencies are raised, you want to ensure stability by running a visual demanding application, such as 3DMark (as mentioned above). You want to do this to catch any artifacts that may occur.

The second reason you want to raise the frequencies in small increments, is to prevent heat stress. You want the hardware (specifically the GPU), to adapt to the amount of heat that it will be subjected to.

Remember, safe overclocking takes time and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom