Computer isn't starting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
So I'm fixing my friend's computer and long story short, it's finally done. Case is new, mobo is new but the rest of it is old. Everything seems to be hooked up right but it won't boot up. Nothing comes up on a monitor, none of the fans work, the only thing that works is the led in front of the case which just blinks on and off over and over. The main power wires are connected and the switches are set up properly according to the manual. So does anyone have any ideas? Although I had it running manually before I got the case and the fans were running.

I connected the power um... things >_>. You know the small metal rods... with a piece of metal. A few people suggested it in a different thread.

I'd really appreciate any advice I can get, I'm seeing my friend tomorrow and sunday and I'd like to be able to give him his computer then.

Please do not bump your topic before 24hours has gone by.

Have you tried a different PSU? Different videocard? Triple checked all wire connections? Made sure all RAM/expansion cards are seated tightly?

I'm 100% sure the PSU is working I had it tested a couple of weeks ago and tested it myself earlier. Video card is new and wouldn't affect the rest of the computer, fans would turn on and the LED wouldn't be blinking. Wire connections are accurately placed as far as I can tell. No expansion cards and.....ram is in properly. Tested the ram a few weeks ago so it should be working.

The problem is either in the hookups for the switch, or the motherboard is grounding out.

Did you use standoffs behind the board?

The problem is either in the hookups for the switch, or the motherboard is grounding out.

Did you use standoffs behind the board?

It could be grounding... It had bumps in it presumably to place the motherboard. Should I have put something inbetween? It didn't come with anything as far as I could tell. Should I loosen or tighten the motherboard? Grounding certainly sounds like a possibility.

You need to get brass standoffs to put in the motherboard mounts and screw the board down to that.

You need to get brass standoffs to put in the motherboard mounts and screw the board down to that.

... well a couple things..

First off why wouldn't it come with that?

Secondly, if it is grounded is there an easy way to tell? Should I just keep it from touching the case? Would I want a non-conductive material like wood or cardboard for that?

The case should have come with brass standoffs.

Easiest way to tell: take the board out of the case and set it on a wood table or something and then try to start it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom