rate my computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok lets see.

1. You don't need thermal compound remover or AS5. That Arctic Cooler F7Pro comes with a pad of MX-2 which is better than AS5.

2. Anti-Static wrist strap is included with the first kit you have on there, so no need for a second one.
You probably don't even need that kit at all. As long as you have some standard screwdrivers you are pretty much all set.

3. If this is for media/gaming, get a better, larger hard drive.

4. No need for Vista Ultimate. Get Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Other than that it looks pretty good. You may want to go with a quad core because media programs will require a lot of multitasking ability. I don't really like the case much, but that's all personal preference.

+1 surge and Evolv.

I think at one time those Dominators were the ones to get, but I would go with what Evolv said or Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800. Great overclockers also if that's what you're going for. If I remember correctly, when I ran Ballistix I got 1100 @ 5-5-5-15. But that was quite sometime ago, and I'm not sure what IC's they're currently using, I think historically it's depended on what batch you happen to get, they've had theirs ups and downs.

And for the hard drive, that's extremely overpriced for what you can get.

Spend ten bucks more and get this-

Newegg.com - Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

More then double your hard drive space, take what surge said, take Evolvs advice on RAM or mine, and youll still save money and have a better rig.

w00t for that build sir.

That's a bummer, I remember when most the forum swore by em. I've been thinking about getting Balistix when I do my i7 build, but I like what I've been hearing about G.Skill.

Although I'm going to be using said programs, I'm somewhere between a novice and intermediate animator (age19), and I'm not creating demanding files or huge models or anything yet, though I'm sure I will within the next few years. With that, is it still recommended I upgrade my hard drive? As for the cores, I'v already conteplated taht plenty and am satisfied with dual cores for now.

Also i forgot to say that I'm gonna overclock, although maybe it was assumed.. but with overclocking, i thought that power supply was good, even though it was a bit of an overkill, HOWEVER, is it too much of an overkill and should get a cheaper one?

The thing with the ram is I chose one that came recommended with my specific motherboard. Which ensures that I won't have any problems, but what do you guys think?

Ok, that case has got to be the absolute worst case I have ever seen in my life. I don't even see a hard drive cage in the pics... or a cage for the opticals. You would probably do just as good if you put your components in a cardboard box. Its frickin tiny too. Oh and did I mention overpriced? Here are some much better suggestions in the same price range.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

You don't need to buy your own case fans, but those Scythe S-Flex are very good if you feel like replacing the ones that come with your case.

You don't need that building kit, the anti-static wrist strap, or the cleaner. Although the cleaner can come in handy, I have some for when I have to rebuild my computer. Theres other stuff you can use though. Its not necessary. All you need to build your computer is a screwdriver or two.

I used to be an animation student and trust me, get a bigger hard drive. Even if you don't use all the space right away, you will want it later. Get yourself one of these. They are also faster and cheaper per GB.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Also, as an animation student... you will REALLY benefit from a quadcore. I promise you. Now that I think about it, get an i7 build with that budget. It will be sooo much better.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
+
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Here is a much better cooler
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Why are you getting 2 monitors? Do you honestly think you need them? I don't. As a beginning animation student, you will not need that. Save that money for the i7

with a 2,000 dollar budget definitely go i7. I'll let someone else put together a complete build for that, but I would definitely go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom