Ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I assume the answer to this question is no but since I already foolishly bought the ram already I'm going to ask...

If a motherboard supports a max of 1gb per ram slot can you put a 2gb ram stick in it and use it as a 1gb???

Basically I bought my sister 4gb of ram for her old computer knowing it used ddr2 but didn't bother to check its limits and yep the limit is 2gb.

thats a very good question, i not too sure of the answer though. I would be leaning towards yes you should be able to since it kind of relates to the idea that a OS supporting 4GB-video memory/32 bit can still use a 2x2gb stick of ram. But i guess it comes down to the fact this is a hardware obstacle and not a software one. Im guessing that the bios of the board is set to how much memory it can use so hopefully you still can use the sticks. I know this isnt really helpful but i would love to see the outcome of this. good luck

Yeah I figure the software is fine but I don't think the memory controller will be able to address it. Does anybody know the answer to this???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom