XP PC Will Not Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks cajun. :) In my searches, I'd come upon that article a couple of times along with several others like it. Basically, at this point, if it can't be done using the Recovery Console or if you need the XP CD to do it, it's not an option for me. :( I went to microsoft.com and looked in their newsgroups, finding that a lot of other people are having the exact same problem. Before our other PC had crashed, I'd been considering installing SP2 on my own PC. Now I'm scared to death to even consider it because of the fact that SP2 will probably cause us to lose everything on that other PC. What a rip. I wish I had a way of knowing for sure what had caused that service pack to screw up the other computer so badly. :( I'm thinking I will probably just have to either go out and buy an XP CD to fix this problem or find someone who will be willing to burn me a copy. :confused:

(Thanks petogaz, but no can do. Can't boot up at all so I certainly am unable to get to the Start Menu. Thanks though. =) )

Yeah, there are dozens of threads and posts in the Microsoft Newgroups from people who are having this exact same problem. Nobody's come up with a solution though, to restore the PC without completely reinstalling XP. :( 'Cuz SP2 was still in the "preliminary testing stages". :rolleyes:

Yeah, tons of people are. This Service Pack 2 is whacked. I would give anyone and everyone who hasn't already installed it and is considering doing so a SERIOUS WARNING. DO NOT install SP2 without first doing a COMPLETE backup of your PC and personal files. There's a 50/50 chance you could LOSE EVERYTHING. That's what happened to us. Ours was the kind of PC that didn't come with an XP Setup disk or a recovery disk, but a recovery drive ( D: ) partitioned off from the C: drive. Gimme a break. What good is it if you can't access it when you really need it? When your PC has crashed and won't boot? If you can boot, you can do a system restore and don't need a recovery drive. :angry: Psh!

Anyway, thanks for your help people. If I can't find someone who will burn me a copy of their XP CD, I will likely take my computer in to a shop someplace and have them reinstall XP. As far as I know, a reinstall of your OS is the only solution to this particular (and widespread) SP2 problem. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom