So I'm going to be building my first computer in a few months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noak3

Baseband Member
My current computer (the only Windows in our house) is a horrible Toshiba Tecra laptop that came out in around 2005 and wasn't even good when we got it. I'm going to build my own computer in a bit once I have the money, in around Decemberish. I'm not sure what the specs are going to be yet, but seeing as I've already saved a lot and if I have all A's in school in December my parents will pay for most of it the price range will probably be pretty high (we're talking more than $2000). I only know the basics (the extent of what I know is pretty much at the level of knowing what Crossfire is, but not much more advanced than that) but not to the extent where I can handpick the perfect combination of parts. Anyone have some general suggestions for me?

I wouldn't prepare a build now as buy December than new intel cpus should be out( codename Bloomfield). If you are shopping for a monitor mouse etc you still wont need more than 2000 (wont even be 2k). cant tell exact price as mobo are going to be expen sive but no exactly sure how much. if you were to buy a build now go with the following.

asus P5q/gigabyte EP45-DS3
4gb (2x2GB) ddr800 ram
4870 gcard (if Xfire go x48 chipset)
640gb WD HDD
550VX corsair PSU

I wouldn't prepare a build now as buy December than new intel cpus should be out( codename Bloomfield). If you are shopping for a monitor mouse etc you still wont need more than 2000 (wont even be 2k). cant tell exact price as mobo are going to be expen sive but no exactly sure how much. if you were to buy a build now go with the following.

asus P5q/gigabyte EP45-DS3
4gb (2x2GB) ddr800 ram
4870 gcard (if Xfire go x48 chipset)
640gb WD HDD
550VX corsair PSU

Based on that, I found some nice specs, anyone want to look over my selection?

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Ram: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video card: Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-H Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards <--- gonna go crossfire w/ 2 of these

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Power Supply: Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM750-HP Continuous 750W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular LED Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply - Power Supplies

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Moniter: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG T220 Rose-Black 22" 2ms GTG Touch of Color series Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20,000:1 - LCD Monitors

Sound card: Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Btw, this is only if I'm going to be buying it soon - not sure yet if I'll get the computer now or in december (yeah, the new intels come out around december but I'm not sure if I can stand using this crappy computer any longer, it just shut down while I was trying to do a chkdsc on it -_-)

you can run all of that crap on a corsair 550vx like the guy above me suggested. i would know because i just built a new comp with one of them today and it all runs great. as for the ram... isn't that 1000mhz ram just some slightly enhance 800mhz? I bought the gskill 4gb (2x2gb) 1066MHz cuz its like the same price.

also.. if your gaming... or mulitasking... i reccomend getting an intel chipset board and one of their quad cores. considering your spending so much money, it would probably be a much better idea to get at least a q6600 ($195 2.4GHz quad core that OCs to 3.6+ on good cooling). or if you really feel like forking over some cash you can pay $1000 for a QX9770 extreme or something.

oh **** forgot to put in cpu, go a q6600. made sumthin on newegg for you to copy.

Newegg.com Shopping Cart

with the S/C for gaming you would wanna go sumthin by creative or auzentech x-fi series. if you want pure music ive heard that both are no good, there more professional brands like e-mu and m-adiio (delta series) that have great cards.

also if you are sure you want to get Xfire go a x38
Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

(allows full x16 bandwith in Xfire)

also with the g.skill PI ram it seems pretty good from review, but im sure you can get the PQ just further for ur money. ive had my gskill hz's at 1100mhz from 800 and most review only get the PI to about 1150 from 1066 version. the PQ are also good o/cer's. anything over 1200 is really uneeded anyway. but u can still get the PI if you dont feel like overclockling.

also DO NOT BUY A EE INTEL QUAD. YOU WILL GET YOUR Q6600 FASTER THAN ONE OF THEM WITH A DECENT COOLER. like a xigamtek rifle 120mm or a thermalright ultra 120 extreme.

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Ram: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Video card: Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-H Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards <--- gonna go crossfire w/ 2 of these

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Power Supply: Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM750-HP Continuous 750W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular LED Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply - Power Supplies

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Moniter: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG T220 Rose-Black 22" 2ms GTG Touch of Color series Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20,000:1 - LCD Monitors

Sound card: Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Btw, this is only if I'm going to be buying it soon - not sure yet if I'll get the computer now or in december (yeah, the new intels come out around december but I'm not sure if I can stand using this crappy computer any longer, it just shut down while I was trying to do a chkdsc on it -_-)

The motherboard and cpu you posted are not compatible. I recommend waiting for Intel's new nehalem processors which will be released in September and are 25-50% faster than the current 45nm quads clock for clock.

yeah lol, thats y i made him a cart on newegg. yeah thats is the other option if ur not in a rush to have a computer, wait for the bloomfields.

Dang you get paid for learning at school? Grr I always wanted my parents to pay me for my good grades, but that never happened. (I still don't think fair for kids to get paid for their grades lol)

Woa! 2k? Thats a huge amount of money! you can prob build a super high end computer, atleast I know I could, but one thing. since this is your first build..... well I dunno. you dont want to risk hundreds on guessing, so make sure you know what you are doing.

Consider buying used, I always done that and never had a problem whatsoever. it saves lots of money.

As other person have stated, just wait for the new processors to come out, since you are planning to spend that much money, its just foolish for you to start building now.

Although, if I were you, I would start buying the case, now :D thats my favorite case. hard drives, dvd burners, and maybe psu

Get this CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Or get this if you have limited budget
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom