Router not being recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadistic Tribble

Beta member
I have 2 computers- My mom's comp has an existing Interwebs connection with Comcast. Her comp recognized the new router fine and it's being used even now.

My computer has no internet conn., nor do I want one. I just want to set up a LAN between the two computers so a friend and I can blow each other's heads apart on UT2004.

My computer does not recognize the router at all. The Network Setup Wizard can't even start. How hard can it be to recognize a LAN?! The other computer didn't need any drivers or anything as far as I can tell, it just set the router up with the provided IP.

For info on my computers specs visit my previous thread. The router is a TRENDnet wired router.

What do mean by it doesn't recognize the router. When you plug the ethernet cable into both ends the connection on your computer still says it's disconnected?

Also make sure you're using a straight through and not a crossover ethernet cable. Crossover is for direct computer to computer connections.

What you have to realise about routers is they aren't switches. Meaning they were created to route between 'Different' networks. If you want to setup two computers, just connect them together with a crossover cable. Improved latency, easier to setup, and you can start pwning sooner!

Do you have the correct drivers installed for your NIC? If you don't get an IP address this may be the problem.

What you have to realise about routers is they aren't switches. Meaning they were created to route between 'Different' networks. If you want to setup two computers, just connect them together with a crossover cable. Improved latency, easier to setup, and you can start pwning sooner!

Acutally home routers are more of a switch than a router anyway :p. Server routers do more of what you described.

I agree with you that he should connect via crossover cable instead though.

Acutally home routers are more of a switch than a router anyway :p. Server routers do more of what you described.

naaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww, now that ain't right :)
Routers route. It's just that simple. No company is going to go through the bother of creating a hybrid technology of a router-that-is-a-switch for home users. I know cisco made switches that can route as well, but they are DEFINATELY not for home users ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom