hasta la VISTA..baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dos is the fastest by far, with the least memory footprint and least resources used....

I prefer msdos to pcdos, drdos, novelldos, opendos, freedos....

however, I will say I like DOSbox..maybe more so than msdos
lol

hmm, I wonder...if I build a powerful computer with a lot of resources...should I get an OS like dos that doesn't use any of those resources? Or should I buy an OS like Vista and perhaps future OSes that use every bit of resources I build into my pc....

hmmm
:)

Someone say "DOSBox"? :confused: You just mentioned that to wrong person! :p

As far as FireFox I'll be running 2.0 until they finish the 3.0 version still in beta at the present time. When you look at the Windows 7 thread you'll see a link there for a video on the next version plus what the kernel in Vista by itself uses for memory. Try less then 40mb like 33mb or so.

o ya and that dosbox thing just reminded me of another flaw in vista. The command prompt won't go full screen anymore for old games:(

Also how are you guys getting vistas memory usage down to ~600MB? right now mine is running at around 1364MB with 1 firefox 3 window with 2 tabs going and WMP I really want to now how to get the memory usage down

I'm through with Vista. Too many bsd...massive memory hog(1.3gb numerous times) and overall, absolutely no significant improvement over XP, from what I experienced.
I originally liked the new look. But that was it. So for over the last 7 or 8 months, Vista was my OS..but not anymore. Welcome back XP. I reinstalled it on sunday and also reinstalled basically most of the programs that were on Vista. Memory stays around 500mb.

Let's face it guys, Vista DID NOT live up to it's expectations.

BTW, prior to Vista, I was using XP and no bsd. So I know it wasn't a hardware issue or my oc. Whatever, XP works...period!

I am having a hard time making the transition myself. I'm going to give Vista a shot on a brand new build once all the parts are in: EVGa 680I + Asus 800gt 1 gig, 4 gigs of gskill, 500 gig Maxtor Sata 300, Soundblaster Audigy ZX platinum and Asus DVDrw to be used only for gaming. I'm hoping my fears will be eliminated!

I'm running vista, 700mb being used now with 5 Mozilla windows open and me listening to the Beatles with WMP

As I type, I have 8 Mozilla windows open, 4 explorer7 open, playing a dvd with mediaplayer classic and a divx movie with WMP, listening to Darude w/quicktime and another track with Nero showtime essentials...my memory usage stays under 675mb.
But anyway, I will wait to see how "good" vista sp1 will be. If I start to read that it helps, then perhaps I'll switch back. However, if it still doesn't truly improve my pc experience, then I'm sticking with XP.
FYI, I played with Vista for over 7months and yes, I too had to rc1and2 versions back in 06.
As far as not looking into those bsod and figuring them out...r u kidding me? I'm not gonna waste my freakin time over that. I can understand one or two once in a while, but once a week is unacceptable to me. Again, XP = ZERO bsod....translation-works better for me!

I run Vista Premium on my other system :Athlon 3500+, 2GB DDR, Nvidia 6100 etc and its fine, when I had it on my gaming rig it sucked, for me vista + gaming =a big no, if you're gonna game run XP but i think most of us came to that idea a while ago :)

I run everything that will install on Vista here and like every other version of Windows but never anywhere near what was seen with the previous versions you can expect to see a BSOD at some point. But it's not Windows that causes the problems since a game can load sideways at one time and run like a champ the next.

When first putting this build together the ATI 7.9 version of their Catalyst was a mahor headache that ATI tried to address with a patch released. The 7,10 and then 7,11 cleaned everything up for both Vista and XP alike! Creative auto updater along with the MS update site saw Vista sound drivers go on XP at that time. Since then they finally fixed their goof there.

And now it's time to see Vista's SP1 go on to see how things go! I'll have to post the results in a few minutes after the system restart.

As I type, I have 8 Mozilla windows open, 4 explorer7 open, playing a dvd with mediaplayer classic and a divx movie with WMP, listening to Darude w/quicktime and another track with Nero showtime essentials...my memory usage stays under 675mb.
But anyway, I will wait to see how "good" vista sp1 will be. If I start to read that it helps, then perhaps I'll switch back. However, if it still doesn't truly improve my pc experience, then I'm sticking with XP.
FYI, I played with Vista for over 7months and yes, I too had to rc1and2 versions back in 06.
As far as not looking into those bsod and figuring them out...r u kidding me? I'm not gonna waste my freakin time over that. I can understand one or two once in a while, but once a week is unacceptable to me. Again, XP = ZERO bsod....translation-works better for me!
Ever think that it could be your system or what you are running? In all the time i have run Vista from Beta 1 back in July of 2005 to now March of 2008 i have yet to get more than 15 BSOD's on Vista. Including the Betas.

I am lucky to get a BSOD once a month. It is more like once every 5 or 6 months. I got one this last week cause of my new video card and the drivers got corrupted and crashed. That was it. Updated my drivers. No BSOD.

Stop trying to force stuff that doesnt work on Vista to work on Vista and things like this wont happen. Ever notice how you dont see the same results you are talking about getting duplicated by anyone here who uses it? Think that is just a coincidence?

I have had Zero BSOD's for a faulty Vista issue. I get BSOD's for faulty applications and drviers. Both of which are not, i repeat not, Microsoft fault. If you want to blame someone. Blame the people that make the software that is not compatible with Vista and crashing it for you. I bet that your BSOD's will come back with nvdisp.dll or something like that. Which is a driver. Not Vista.

While it is your opinion that Vista stinks that is fine. But i find it funny how so many people ahve replied how they dont have issues and can not reproduce your issues. Yet you still call it junk. Ironic...

Well I just put SP1 on Vista and simply had to change from Gamer mode to Entertainment mode on the Creative X-Fi's volume control. Gee? That was such a hardship there. Yaa.. like the 2 seconds it took to see that done.

With the exception of two other updates waiting at the MS update site everything was totally updated with ease! Vista does seem to be a little more responsive. I think the first service pack removed any remaining bugs as well. :p

I think I now know why SP1 came out a little sooner then many thought it would mainly from Microsoft calling in Gordon Freeman! :p

Ever think that it could be your system or what you are running? In all the time i have run Vista from Beta 1 back in July of 2005 to now March of 2008 i have yet to get more than 15 BSOD's on Vista. Including the Betas.

I am lucky to get a BSOD once a month. It is more like once every 5 or 6 months. I got one this last week cause of my new video card and the drivers got corrupted and crashed. That was it. Updated my drivers. No BSOD.

Stop trying to force stuff that doesnt work on Vista to work on Vista and things like this wont happen. Ever notice how you dont see the same results you are talking about getting duplicated by anyone here who uses it? Think that is just a coincidence?

I have had Zero BSOD's for a faulty Vista issue. I get BSOD's for faulty applications and drviers. Both of which are not, i repeat not, Microsoft fault. If you want to blame someone. Blame the people that make the software that is not compatible with Vista and crashing it for you. I bet that your BSOD's will come back with nvdisp.dll or something like that. Which is a driver. Not Vista.

While it is your opinion that Vista stinks that is fine. But i find it funny how so many people ahve replied how they dont have issues and can not reproduce your issues. Yet you still call it junk. Ironic...

Makavista....doesn't matter what I say...what I do....you'll defend freakin windows 'til you die! You're in love with Vista! I'm not the first guy here to say Vista isn't the best, yet you'll come on here and defend and defend and defend Vista.
Dude, I don't want to waste my time pointing out different threads, discussions, reviews, and websites that concur with what I'm talking about. Vista just isn't the <snipped> that you or Microsoft claim it is!
Windows 2000 never gave me problems. XP falls in the same club....but Vista just isn't up to par with those two.
What's funny Makavista is that you will always point the finger on the user...always but now you'll say that it's the software makers fault. Dude, you'll just blame everything in site. I've read plenty of your "it's not Vista it's you the user" replies and you can just add this one to your list.

I would like to see vista sp1 work. If it clears up the many bugs...then I'll switch back. In the meantime, I'm sticking with good 'ol and very reliable XP!
BTW, the reason I had all those firefox, explorer windows open, etc....is the show that in XP, your memory won't go near 1g. Try that on Vista!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom