Help Hard Drive Wont Let Me Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicoyk8

Solid State Member
Hi i have an asrock k7vt2 motherboard ata 133 with 1600mhz amd processor i have recently had to change my hard drive due to the old one failing the new hard drive is an excelstor technology 80gb ata/sata when i try to format it. it wont let me i put in my xp pro disk get it to start loading but when it gets to the set up is starting windows screen it just stops and stay on that screen ave tried it a few times now and it just wont work so i could really do with some ones help to fix the problem i have tried diffrent graphix cards nd taking out dvd drives but it still just doesnt work please help thanx

First off: Grammar please. There's a period key and shift key on your keyboard for a reason ;).

Sounds like your disc could be scratched, or you may have bad RAM (2 possibilities that I'm throwing out there). Download Memtest86, burn the ISO to a blank CD with ImgBurn (another free program). Boot off of the disc, and run it for at least 5 hours (at the minimum).

Is the drive recognized in BIOS at all?

Like carnage said, check the bios. If the drive isn't showing up, you may have a bad sata connection or the drive may have been incorrectly connected. If all those are checked and there is still no luck, try a different CD (if available) and if that is not an option...... well lets just hope it isn't a problem with the CD then :D

Hi the hard drive does show up in the bios. I will try the memory test and tell you the results thanx very much for your help

No problem, and good luck.

Also, so what you're trying to do is just simply format the drive, or are you trying to install XP onto the new drive? Because from what it sounds like, you're trying to install XP on the new drive, is this correct?

To me it sounds as if hte Disc is older and doesnt have the appropiate driver needed to load the drive up. Like missing the SATA drivers. That is why it is doing this. Will need to find those drivers and slipstream them into the install disc with autostreamer.

Any probs with the CDDRIVE. Had exactly the same prob as you describing about a week ago. Used a different cddrive and away it went . Just could'nt read the data properly. Never know!

To me it sounds as if hte Disc is older and doesnt have the appropiate driver needed to load the drive up. Like missing the SATA drivers. That is why it is doing this. Will need to find those drivers and slipstream them into the install disc with autostreamer.

let me know when you get back here. this is more than likely your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom