cant reinstall OS, error showing up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
READ THE WHOLE FIRST POST PLEASE!

this is the error showing up after constant reformatting, moving HDD to differ computer for deleting stuff, putting back, etc:

"Windows installation encountered an unexpected error......"

File: PCIIDEX.SYS

Info: Windows failed to load because a required file is missing, or corrupt.

ok, so i restart the computer to reinstall or repair the computer, but all that comes up is an anomyous error thing that i cant get passed, which leads me to taking the HDD out, put it into another computer, clear it as much as i can, put it back in my computer, format it again, n do reinstallation. I cant do repair because another error shows up after i delete stuff off my HDD.

backstory of why im reinstalling: After i updated my BIOS from 1.1 to 1.3 AND reactivating Windows, my sound card wasnt working, unless i use the HD Audio Front Panel. I let some viruses through Kaspersky, thinking the software wasnt letting me update my sound card driver. After that, everything like Windows Explorer, sidebar, internet, etc gets closed out automatically. Turns out i couldnt find viruses because i had no access to my network n i couldnt change anything with my network. I did get rid of some viruses but the critical ones were messing with my network n such. I was able to go onto the internet through a public network, even though i have that option off. Did a hijackthis log, posted it, but couldnt deal with the problem anymore! So i backed up all the files that were important to me that i didnt want to lose, deleted what i can off another computer, n reinstall Windows Vista Ultimate.

now the error i get doesnt show up until AFTER it says during set up, "Completed Installation". The computer restarts, ok cool, then after waiting after the disk is booting, the screen goes black as if it froze n stays that way. I reset, reads off the disk, then the error thing shows up, went gray n black showing what file is missing, etc. Like i said, the start up wont show up again for me to repair it, which is wierd n has that anomyous error show up asking to restart installation, then brings up that message over n over when i reset the computer.

anyone have any idea what i did wrong?? I got customer service number here too, but i felt like bringing the problem here first. Also, im on Wii, btw.

Wow. How did you clean the drive? Did you format it with another tool? Like a GParted LiveCD or somethign like that? It sounds as if there are some bad area on that drive and a check disk is in order.

Wow. How did you clean the drive? Did you format it with another tool? Like a GParted LiveCD or somethign like that? It sounds as if there are some bad area on that drive and a check disk is in order.

i took it out, put it in another computer, that computer read it, n then i just started to delete stuff that i could delete. This was the only way for me to get the installation setup to work again on my computer. Whatever was there in my HDD, i was able to format it. It said like 232.9GB capacity, 232.8GB free space. I hooked back on the other computer to see what was still on it n nothing was. Remember, the installation setup has a format button n i used that on it n another HDD in case i dont get this one working.

i am thinking that since i flashed BIOS from 1.1 to 1.3 n after reactivating Windows, my BIOS stays at 1.3, thus my installation doesnt recognize it. That is my guess.

EDIT:

my OS is an OEM product; says in my sig.

I have flashed my BIOS several time since i installed XP and VIsta. Nothing like this has happened to me. That should not have a effect on if the disk sees the drive or nto or if it will install to it.

My suggestion right now is put it back into the other system and run a check disk on it to make sure there are no bad sectors.

I have flashed my BIOS several time since i installed XP and VIsta. Nothing like this has happened to me. That should not have a effect on if the disk sees the drive or nto or if it will install to it.

My suggestion right now is put it back into the other system and run a check disk on it to make sure there are no bad sectors.

load up gparted and completely wipe the partition?

gparted? Is it free? I'll do that tonight.

yup, just download ubuntu.. and you can run the os from the cd.. just start up gparted and wipe the hdd.. i had a very similar problem

yup, just download ubuntu.. and you can run the os from the cd.. just start up gparted and wipe the hdd.. i had a very similar problem

oh no no no no no, my dad would hate that, asking questions n crap of y im downloading an OS when i dont have a computer to run on etc etc.

there must be another way or something else i can use!

Mirrors

That should just give you GParted the LiveCD.

lol i fail to understand it. Guide me on this one. Does it require Ubuntu? I'm gonna be using a XP Pro PC.

no.. its just a cd you have to burn you put it in, and it'll play upon boot.. don't need an os installed..

don't need an os installed to use ubuntu either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom