Curious... Why not a console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many here say you can't upgrade a console as a con but at the same time you can also see it as a pro... and upgrading only helps for so long. My computer is 3 years old (p4) and to upgrade it now would be kinda pointless. It's better to build/buy a new one so the same with buyinga new console after a few years.

Wider selection of games on the pc? Mostly shooters, rts and mmo's. Although games do tend to get ported alot form console to pc and vica versa (rainbow six, COD, gears of war, assa creed). I wont be surprised if crysis will be ported to a console in a year or so.

Controles? you can buy keyboards and mice for consoles...

Just for games a console isn't a bad idea but ofcourse a pc isn't just for games and i think that's it's biggest sellingpoint.

easy.. all the games i've stuck to playing has been made from blizzard.

starcraft, wc3, WoW..

they arent avalible on console.

although i bought my PS2 strictly to play gran turismo.. and i will buy a PS3 just to play the new gran turismo when it comes out.. yes i love that series more than WoW

if your wondering why not a console, don't bother with a gaming PC

also there are no Mr.Torrence with Consoles (or that I know of) nor are there free games to play, or Abandonware or anything like that

So to summarise:

Why a PC:

1) Much better graphics if you're prepared to spend out on upgrades every so often.
2) Vast library of titles availiable even going back to the dawn of computer gaming with emulators and virtual machines.
3) Enthusiast grade PC's are a fun hobby in themselves.
4) The games are cheaper & if you're of that inclination piracy is easier.
5) You have the option of mouse & keyboard which owns for FPS, RTS, RPG. (A major concideration if you're a fan of one of these genre)

Why a console:

1) You can slouch on the couch in front of the TV to play games rather than sitting at a desk.
2) Its easy and fun to have a few mates round and play against each other.
3) Consistent gaming experiance as the hardware is identical.
4) The console itself is cheaper than a Gaming PC and won't take up the same room, suitable for a casual gamer.

I haven't included any of the points people raised about using computers for non-gaming activities because to be fair you don't need an expensive gaming PC for those things, a cheap laptop would do fine. Although of course you can do those things on a Gaming PC and you can't on a console so I suppose that is a vaild point from that perspective.

him ham bliz blaz...;)
I'm a pc user, pc gamer (though modest gamer)

The consoles have merit in that they are what revolutionized gaming and pushed the whole tech edge. Without them, there would be no competing for better graphics and we would be clicking away on 256 color VGA graphics in our beloved little adventure games.

but it's like exercise, some people do it and some don't...some people like to look good and be healthy and some don't....you just pick your thing ;)

Also... something uniqe with PC's

Lets say you want to play Assassians Creed REALLY REALLY BAD! but you only have enough for JUST the game..
(lets say AC is out for pc right now, not a month or something from now)

You have an Xbox 1 and an older PC that was really high end in the day, but is starting to fall behind...

There is no way you can play that game on your xbox... but your ageing pc? if you are lucky, you may be able to play this new game on your new pc with no upgrades... just on lower settings.

Also my favorite thing about my computer is that i know almost everything about it from putting it together... if something goes wrong unlike an xbox360 i can troubleshoot it myself and if i must i can just buy or RMA a single product faster then you will get back your overheating faulty 360...

When people come over i tell them that i dont have a 360, or a ps3... I have an xbox 900 ;).

P.S. Wii is the only console imo that would be worth buying.

edit: and happens to be the only console i own other then the n64

if your wondering why not a console, don't bother with a gaming PC

also there are no Mr.Torrence with Consoles (or that I know of) nor are there free games to play, or Abandonware or anything like that

Mr.Torrence has tons of console games. I don't know about the PS3 and Wii but the 360 only requires a simple bios flash to play burned games. And older consoles can be modded to. My ps1 has a mod chip and my ps2 has a 160gb hard drive that lets me load my games to it. The hard drive also allows the games to load about 3 times faster. Plus with consoles you can rent games at Blockbuster or somewhere and copy (if your into that).

Personally I do like both. For me,
pc - strategy, fps
console - fighting
all the other genres are good on both.

So to summarise:

Why a PC:

1) Much better graphics if you're prepared to spend out on upgrades every so often.
2) Vast library of titles availiable even going back to the dawn of computer gaming with emulators and virtual machines.
3) Enthusiast grade PC's are a fun hobby in themselves.
4) The games are cheaper & if you're of that inclination piracy is easier.
5) You have the option of mouse & keyboard which owns for FPS, RTS, RPG. (A major concideration if you're a fan of one of these genre)

Why a console:

1) You can slouch on the couch in front of the TV to play games rather than sitting at a desk.
2) Its easy and fun to have a few mates round and play against each other.
3) Consistent gaming experiance as the hardware is identical.
4) The console itself is cheaper than a Gaming PC and won't take up the same room, suitable for a casual gamer.

I haven't included any of the points people raised about using computers for non-gaming activities because to be fair you don't need an expensive gaming PC for those things, a cheap laptop would do fine. Although of course you can do those things on a Gaming PC and you can't on a console so I suppose that is a vaild point from that perspective.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom