Maby add XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your posting is confusing me, but if you're asking about formatting a HDD, yes a format operation WILL indeed erase all the datat that is currently on that HDD. So in that case you will NEED to back it up. On the other hand, if you just install the OS w/out formatting the HDD, you could it do it that way, but that also poses a risk IMHO and you could risk losing your personal data.

Bottom line: Always back it up when in doubt. You have a CD-Burner or a external HDD you could hook up to this PC by chance?

I do have Cd burner, and I do know that format will wipe all data on disk. What I'm actually trying to ask is if I can install secondry OS WITHOUT FORMATTING the volume, on which the OS ewill be installed.

*Sorry if I express myself in complicated way :-|

smartech said:
I do have Cd burner, and I do know that format will wipe all data on disk. What I'm actually trying to ask is if I can install secondry OS WITHOUT FORMATTING the volume, on which the OS ewill be installed.

*Sorry if I express myself in complicated way :-|

Dude you didn't read my post carefully did ya? ;)

Lone Wolf said:
... On the other hand, if you just install the OS w/out formatting the HDD, you could it do it that way, but that also poses a risk IMHO and you could risk losing your personal data.

Bottom line: Always back it up when in doubt. You have a CD-Burner or a external HDD you could hook up to this PC by chance?

I did read your post. I just wanted to ensure this. And by the way, what is "IMHO"? Is it kind a registry data?

Oh, ok...

Listen, I've installed XP on D:, works fine, but I still can't test it absolutly, cuz, usualy I use A lot of bakgroud programs, but to run them now on secondry OS I have to reinstall them on this OS, so I thought, maby remouve the XP from D:, then COPY the Windows 2k folder there, so Ill have 2 windowses 2k, and then, boot with one on d:, then upgrade it to XP. I think I will be able then to run all my programs without reinstalling them. And then I will be able to see, how it works.

Do you think it gonna work?

Almost, but not quite. Unless you can convince your second copy of W2k to think that D: is actually C:. Plus there's a certain matter of Boot Records as well. When you turn on your computer, one of the first things it does (after the POST) is to check the Master Boot Record which, I believe, resides on the first available Hard Drive. Even if you Ghosted your C: drive to your D: drive, it would still only recognize one OS. Mind you, there are probably ways around that as well.

Cheers
DiggerB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom