Compaq 6310US

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhl

Solid State Member
Simple question. My wife has a Compaq 6310US AMD Athlon XP1800+, I got a couple Athlons from my Brother one is a XP2200 and one is XP2700. Will they work in her computer?

Yes it will, as they use the same socket. It's just a matter if the motherboard can support the code name of the XP 2200+ or 2700+. But I think you're good to go.

It can probably take the 2200+, the 2700+ is unlikely without a bios upgrade which may or may not exist. Doesn't hurt to plug em in and see what happens, though.

It don't boot with the 2700+ at all.. With the 2200+ it POST and then Windows XP starts (the XP screen) but it don't finish, I don't think it freezes because the progress bar(?) still shows it's loading but it hasn't finished (been showing the same screen for over an hour). Tried shutting down the system, unplugging the tower and not sure what else to do. The POST shows the 2200+ and everything looks good on startup. Any suggestions?

You would probably have to do a BIOS upgrade, like jorsoft mentioned before. But I'm not sure if they still offer BIOS upgrades for that computer. Or reset the CMOS to it's default settings, after you've installed the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom