Win xp Not Booting When Extra Ram Stick Added

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update to the latest 4in1 VIA drivers. Flashing BIOS would NOT be a bad idea, though. If the mem configs have changed and the instructions are passed from the bootstrap, then incorrect register addresses may cause windows to hang. Id try the 4in1 first, though.

What about speed? Maybe one of them isn't rated correctly and it might be pc100.

Try booting at 100Mhz memory speed

All SDRAM is backwards compatible, so forcing it to use the 100 MHz has no bearing on the PC not being able to boot, nor does having insufficent PSU. If his PSU was on the fritz, he would be having other symptoms.

I'm tellin ya - that DIMM slot is probably the culprit. Why would the system be able to boot w/ each RAM stick with only the first slot being used and then not able to boot when the 2nd DIMM slot is used.

killians45 said:
Update to the latest 4in1 VIA drivers. Flashing BIOS would NOT be a bad idea, though. If the mem configs have changed and the instructions are passed from the bootstrap, then incorrect register addresses may cause windows to hang. Id try the 4in1 first, though.

Incorrect register addresses? Never heard of it.. can you explain that one? The BIOS will count up the amount of RAM at each boot up, so i doubt, it's some sort of a BIOS issue. Your MB chipset determines how much RAM your PC will support - NOT the BIOS.

I'm aware that SDRAM is backwardly compatible with slower memory speeds that's why I suggested booting at a lower speed. It being backwardly compatibe doesn't mean that the motherboard will automatically clock down to a lower speed. Sometimes you have to set it. It never hurts to try a simple step to diagnose a problem.

Aggdaddy said:
I'm aware that SDRAM is backwardly compatible with slower memory speeds that's why I suggested booting at a lower speed. It being backwardly compatibe doesn't mean that the motherboard will automatically clock down to a lower speed. Sometimes you have to set it. It never hurts to try a simple step to diagnose a problem.

If the MB supports 133 MHz speed and both RAM sticks are labeled as 133 MHz, then chances are the sticks are 133 speed and it's not the speed that's causing the issue. A slower RAM module (100 vs 133) would NOT cause a failure to boot.

I always try to take the most logical step in diagnosing a problem.

E-tard, In this case, save yourself some time and try the most plausible route rather than just taking a shot in the dark.

Whatever dude, I have come across this problem in the past. I'm just sharing my experiences and trying to help out a forum member. It doesn't help anyone to be negative towards others.

I do agree on principle that a bios update wont work, but may as well try. The 4in1 IS the MB chipset drivers, which is what I'm pushing at. VIA is known to have similar problems and they have update the 4in1 drivers for this... I wasn't very clear on the memory registers (memory). I'm sure you know this, but for his benefit I'm explaining the bootstrap process. During initial bootup the bios initializes its own program (basically, turning the hardware to a known/found state) then when thats done it passes control to the o/s bootstrap. This bootstrap either loads the o/s or contains more specific initialization strings. This info is on the HDD 0,0,1 (T,H,S) and it in turn loads the correct os operating environment. I suppose it POSSIBLE for the bios to pass the memory off as a known state and a bios flash is needed for correct recognition, but I'm not to keen on assembly. Anyhow, the HDD then transfers the bootstrap info into memory (512k byte???) and the bios checks the last few bytes for a memory register to tell it the bootstrap is valid. I'm guessing that its very possible to have invalid bootstrap but still show up as valid by the last few characters... but again, this is programming that I've NEVER seen, just know in theory. After all this verification, the bios will hand complete control to the os bootstrap. The memory register would be the location (example 0000:7C00 is the location in memory where the HDD loads the bs.)

Also, the MBD will default to the slowest RAM. You want the largest DIMM in slot 0.

As far as PSU, that CAN be an issue, too. Depends on if the system was already taxed out or not as well as if the PSU is subpar and is not a constant but fluctuates as they tend to get worse not only over time but also over load ratios. Adding the mem can do that. I would still go for the 4in1 drivers, and yes I'd agree that its probably the slott if the drivers dont work, but figured if he got a volt calculator to figure things up it would be the cheapest route.

One other thing to try. I could be the voltage regulator in the bios. Update the Vcore from 1.5 to 1.65 see if that helps. Then try to disable shadowing and cache in the bios (if it boots, it'll be slow but itll give an idea)... If not, then yeah... probably the mem controller.

Dont be hard on lone wolf, I've talked with him before. He's straight shooter, I thought he came across like that but in his defense, he's not being condescending, I dont think. He's just getting to the point is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom