Video card compatiability

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar36

Beta member
HI . I am wanting to build a new computer and I have a question regarding video cards. I built my last computer with a VGA card. The new PCI express cards were not out yet. My question is will my VGA card work in the PIexpress16 slot? Thanks for your input

I assume you meant your graphic card was either a PCI or AGP graphic card, no....it won't work in a PCI-e slot.

You really don't even want your old graphic card to work with your new PCI-e motherboard. You really want a new graphics card. I can just sense it. Technically, if your old card was a PCI one you could stick it in a PCI slot, but not a PCI-e slot. AGP cards have no chance at all of working. A PCI card should still work. However, your motherboard would cry and the moisture would short it out. Oh, wait. That's me crying. Just don't do it. Please. You really owe yourself a new graphics card anyway.

Thanks for your input. My gut feeling was that it would not work. I hear the new PCI express cards are very good. Which chip set do you recommend? I have had good luck with Nvidia.

Different strokes for different folks... I went ATI because Folding@Home doesn't support the NVidia GPU's right now.

As far as top of the line, that would be the NVidia 8800 series right now... Soon to be interesting with the release of the 8900 series, and ATI's new cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom