harddrive trouble, please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garywoo2

Beta member
well i recently got a new pc with a 230gb hdd and this was all fine, i had copied a lot of the stuff from my old 40gb hdd in my old pc onto a maxtor one-touch 120gb external hdd...still fine.

So then yesterday i forgot i still had some stuff that i bought of the internet on my old hdd i decided i was going to copy that over onto the maxtor external as well. so i unplugged my new pc and sat the old pc right next to it and plugged in the power ext. hdd (usb) VGA, sound mouse and keyboard, then switched it on.

The hdd light blinked on for about 1/2 of a sec and the pc made a click noise or whatever noise it makes when you switch it on, but then after that nothing happened apart from a strange smell coming from somewhere.

i immediately unplugged power and then everything else from the old pc and took it out from under the desk, i opened it up but couldn't see anything, just a slightly more stronger smell. i suppose it smelled sort of like burning but i'm not sure. there was no visible damage or smoke inside the pc but i don't dare switching it back on again as there is still some stuff in there i need.

ANYWAY, i'm assuming my psu has malfunctioned and broke, so what i'm asking is, can i put that old 40gb hdd from my old pc into my new pc alongside the main 230gb hdd just for copying the stuff over and then taking it out again? it was the only hdd except for the external one in my old pc but i only used that for keeping movies and stuff, not installing programs on. If this is not possible, do you think i should get a new psu for my old psu and see if that works?

thanks very much.

yes u may drop off ur old 40gb hdd into the new system for copying but remember to slave the 40gb before u start it up, (unless its a Sata)
Dont worry it wont damage ur new system :)

about ur PSU make sure it actually came from ur PSU before u start buying thing that are not needed. check ur power connector to the mobo, try opening up ur PSU to see any burnt marks, etc...

BTW u double posted!i!i!i

I wouldn't. there a chance that you can burn up your new system. get an old POS system to try it on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom