URGENT! External Hardrive Un-detected!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajete

In Runtime
This is puzzling me. I have another External that works perfect and windows detects it. I put in my ULTRA however, and windows doesn't recognize it. It doesn't even appear on my computer next to drive c. I thought it might have been drivers I need, but the drive came with one CD for drivers that win 98 needs. I took further actions by opening the Case, checking the ide to usb connections and I removed the jumper to set the drive to master. I retried connecting the usb but still... windows wont detect it. It's still unrecognized and I see this window...

problem1.PNG

I tried checking http://www.ultraproducts.com for win XP drivers but then I read on the installation booklet... "Winbdows XP already contains drivers for this External Drive. Just connect USB and format drive".

I attempted switching diffrent usbs on my computer, but it won't detect on no usb port.

ANY CLUES???? :(

Hi! When you plug your External HD, does the little icon with the green arrow appears on your systray? (lower right corner of your screen) If not, try a different USB port. If Windows still won't recognize it, you might be in front of a non-working device, like the message says. You should've never touched anything inside the case because that won't solve the issue. You can also try this: 1) Go to Device Manager (with the hard drive plugged in,of course) and check if it shows up; if not make a right click on the USB port where the device is plugged in and choose "Scan for Hardware Changes" and see if Windows sees the device.
2) Go to Control Panel>Printers and Other Hardware and on the upper left pane you should have an option "ADD HARDWARE", click on that to start the "Add Hardware Wizard" and follow the instructions to force Windows to see the device. If nothing works, then the external drive is not working or you damaged it. Post back with results,please. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom