New Graphics Card - But Power Issues (i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalez

Beta member
Well i bought the new Sapphire Radeon X1950 PRO 512mb card on friday.
When i went to install it i found the same plug that i had used for my radeon 9700 pro (the small 4 or 6 pin power plug) wouldnt do it.. and instead id need 2 molex cables.
At first i didnt know how id go about getting 2 into the card.. i had a spare 3 way molex cable with the card so i used that and put 1 cable in at first, when i started up, installed all the drivers etc, opened up a game everything seemed fine.. but changing to 1024x768 resolution from 800x600 on any game gave me huge artifacts and crashed my PC. I then read on the box that id need atleast 30a on a 12v rail. I looked at my 450w PSU and found that i only had 14a on it.

So anyway, i couldnt figure out how i could free up an extra molex cable to go into the second port, so i disabled one of my CD drivers and stuck the cable from that in. Im guessing that would have counted as 2x 14a (which would give me 28a altogether going to the card)
I thought this may be sufficient. Well when i did this i could get games running on 1024x768 resolution, but then my processor on the system part of control panel showed my processor running at half the speed. Well after messing with my BIOS i can start up my PC now with the processor displaying properly, and i can get onto my games (BF2 and Oblivion) but the FPS seem to be around the same as before (well slightly higher but not noticeable) and when loading windows after iv logged in, my programs have a huge delay before they can open up.

My pc specs are:

Athlon 2800+ Processor
450W PSU
512MB Sapphire Radeon x1950
2GB of pc3200 RAM

Now im getting an 850W power supply off a friend by tuesday and im wondering if this will fix it.. or if there's a chance i installed the card wrong (used wrong cables). also with the new PSU, will my computer load at the normal speed again (about 1 minute difference) and would it increase my FPS on games?

Thanks for any useful info in advance.

You don't need an 850w PSU to power the card. A qaulity 500w is all you need.

Your 450w PSU only has 14 amps total and does not have near enough power for your system. The PCI E specification recommends the use of 15 amps and higher (just for the motherboard power w/o external power)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom