My new computer didn't come with system recovery discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
My 1 1/2 month old eMachines T5048 is giving me some problems. Its acting funny and not always working real smoothly.

Anyway, my wife called eMachines and they had us check how many running processes we had and we had 51. They said that was too much and that we probably have a virus. We've run McAfee virus scan several times and it comes up clean.

Our computer didn't come with the recovery discs like all of my older computers did. eMachines told my wife that we should've burned a set of recovery discs when our computer was brand new :confused: ???

I just went to all programs>system recovery>create my driver's-application CD(s) and it looks like this may be what eMachines was talking about.

Can I just burn these discs or may these files be corrupted or infected now? I'm not sold that my computer is infected with a virus :rolleyes: . I do think that something is wrong with it such as some missing or corrupted files, though.

BTW, I'm using the computer in question right now.

1. Are you sure that there is a virus on it? Do a Hijackthis log and somebody will look at it for you.

2. Chances are; the recovery data is on a seperate partition of your hard drive. It has a small chance of being infected. Plus the System Recovery burning software only tells the computer to burn certain files, so it won't burn the virus onto the disc.

3. You could call Emachines or check their website; that's how I got my Acer restore disks.

talldude123 said:
1. Are you sure that there is a virus on it? Do a Hijackthis log and somebody will look at it for you.

2. Chances are; the recovery data is on a seperate partition of your hard drive. It has a small chance of being infected. Plus the System Recovery burning software only tells the computer to burn certain files, so it won't burn the virus onto the disc.

3. You could call Emachines or check their website; that's how I got my Acer restore disks.

Thanks for your reply.

1. No, I'm not sure. In fact, I really don't think that we have a virus. I do think that we're missing some files, though.
How do I do a Hijackthis log????

2. So it sounds like you're saying that I could burn the discs and they would only burn "good" files.

3. eMachines said that they'd sell us a set for $20. I don't want to spend any more money on this computer. Sometimes I'd like to take it and just throw the whole thing away so I don't want to throw any more good money away on it.

dannyual767 said:
Thanks for your reply.

1. No, I'm not sure. In fact, I really don't think that we have a virus. I do think that we're missing some files, though.
How do I do a Hijackthis log????

2. So it sounds like you're saying that I could burn the discs and they would only burn "good" files.

3. eMachines said that they'd sell us a set for $20. I don't want to spend any more money on this computer. Sometimes I'd like to take it and just throw the whole thing away so I don't want to throw any more good money away on it.

Download HiJackThis, let it analyze your computer, and paste your log here.

The program is set to only burn certain files to the disc, not the directory. Also the disc would be crammed so full of the normal files, that there wouldn't be space for extra files anyways.

I would recommend buying restore disks if the computer was purchased for a high price, but if it was less than $500, don't bother.

There should be a program on your computer to create the recovery discs. This is the case on almost all desktop machines as it saves the manufacturer money. If I remember correctly it should be in Start Button>Programs>Help and Suport (or something similar)
Look for Recovery Disc Creator (or something similar). It'll take 2-4 blank dvds usually. Then you should be able to restore okay. The Gateway/Emachines process for this is pretty quick and painless, the process for HP/Compaq and Sony takes forever and a day.

Even if you do have a virus or malware infestation, all is not lost.

First off, uninstall McAfee and never go near it again. McAfee is pure junk. Norton isn't much better... it catches more, but hogs your resources. Go with a good AV, either AVG (free) or something like TrendMicro, Nod32, or so. I use CA, and highly recommend it. Go here for a one year free trial.

Try a free online scan as well. [url]housecall.trendmicro.com
is good.

Also, go through Warez Monster's 4 Step Spyware Removal Guide:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=119852

Okay, here is my HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:01:49 AM, on 2/5/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\readericon45G.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vVX3000.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopDisplay.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6021\SiteAdv.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.908.8472\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\SkypePM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MPS\mps.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6021\SAService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPS\mpsevh.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-588B4A13EA\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/home.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch=Retail&Br=EM&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=DTP&M=T5048
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch=Retail&Br=EM&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=DTP&M=T5048
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6021\SiteAdv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\scriptcl.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\windows\system32\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6021\SiteAdv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [readericon] C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\readericon45G.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] %WINDIR%\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] %WINDIR%\Creator\Remind_XP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VX3000] C:\WINDOWS\vVX3000.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MskAgentexe] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiteAdvisor] C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6021\SiteAdv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Power2GoExpress] NA
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.908.8472\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: siteadvisor - {3A5DC592-7723-4EAA-9EE6-AF4222BCF879} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6021\SiteAdv.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0070381170690944) (0070381170690944mcinstcleanup) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\007038~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Privacy Service (MPS9) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MPS\mps.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6021\SAService.exe

Fix these entries using HiJackThis:

C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Power2GoExpress] NA

Also, I recommend updating Windows XP to it's latest update, including all the software updates. Make sure that you upgrade to Internet Exporer 7.

Power2GoExpress is a cyberlink program. you don't need to delete it. you can burn those disc. you will be alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom