-2006- Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I've been off technology for the good part of 2006, and now when I go to sites like tomshardware or newegg, I see products that make me go like OLE $#!t... so someone need to explain to me what happened last year while I was dormant. The newest technology, when I left, was the new release of AMD-FX62 or something, and I was hearing news about socket AM2 or something. ATI was getting out X1900XTX, and it kicked arse. nVidia was doing some 7800GTX 512, but there weren't too many of them.

ok, so what happened since? i've heard that intel started to kick amd's butt, and stuff like that. What new vid cards are out, and how good are they? What sockets/cpus are out, for amd and intel?

Thanks for enlightening me bro...

Have a great year!;)

Intel released Core 2 Duo.

AMD is in second place, but I think they're better because of the price. A basic Core 2 Duo is like $250. A top-of-the-line Athlon is like $200.

NVidia Geforce 8800GTX is the first DirectX 10 card released, and costs $600.

As of right now, the best are the Core 2 Duo processors, nvidia's 8800 series, and nvidia's motherboard chipset, the 680i.

so how's AMD planning to get on top again, and why are the Intel chips better (structure, process, cache etc.)?

ATI is getting ready to release the R600 which is rumored to be better than the 8800GTX but we will see. i think in april or may, maybe alil later, ati will be releasing a DDR4 version right now we only got DDR3

oh yeah, AMD released the AM2 socket which runs DDR2 memory

socket F is for servers.

anyway, AMD is planning to get DDR3, in socket AM3, along with their next CPU's: K8L (true quad cores, and significantly better architecture)

socket AM3 will be basically identical to AM2, except for one less pin
you will actually be able to use AM3 CPU's in socket AM2, but not AM2 CPU's in socket AM3

AMD bought ATI, AMD are currently working on a fusion processor to combine the CPU and GPU on one chip. Intel are also hiring staff for their graphics department and might be working on something similar or even bringing out their own graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom