Memory 32-bit or 64-bit ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

allsa8

Beta member
Hi all ,

I have a quesion that made me confused .

if the Memory is DIMM then it is 64-bit .
if the memory is SIMM then it is 32-bit only or it can be 64-bit ?

How do i know that Some memory is operating with 32-bit or 64-bit !! ?
i think it is important to identify it is sufficient for the processor used .
For example if have an Intel 800 Mhz FSB then i need a memory that feed 200 MHz * 2 (DDR) * 64-bit bandwith = 3200 MB/s .

but i have a Memory that is running at DDR400 \ 200 MHz and operates on 32-bit then it'll be not sufficint to work with Intel 32-bit 800 MHz FSB .

I just want to make sure:p

Thank you in advance

PC3200 has same data transfer rate of 3.2GB/s on single channel mode. this applied to every PC3200/DDR400 Memory module regardless of manufacturer.

if you are having 2 X PC3200's then it sufficent. do not worry about your calculations.

infact your calculations is wrong in that manner as this 32-BIT/64-BIT is register size. so as when you have 32-BIT memory (currently 99.99%) are on 32-BIT as in this register size you can make 1 memory module equal to 2 (32) = approx 4 GB of Stick.

have you seen any 1 RAM module more than 4GB? 64-BIT register size modules will emerge soon as when yoor board starts taking more than 4/8 Gb's and for servers where memory requirements are crucial so filling in more than 4GB in one stick of ram becomes requirement.

Oh dear Blind_Arrow , i think you misunderstand something that i dont know myself :)

i didn't ask about my PC , i asked that quesion to know how to calulate Bandwidth required , Actually my quesion was "Is the Single Inline Memory Modules SIMM 32-bit only or some are 64-bit?"

well, you opened the discussion .
it is not only that the register is 32-bit ! it also means that it uses 32 pathways to transmit bits !
All DIMM are 64-bit ! RIMM are 16-bit so that we must install 2 Modules to form 32-bit because the CPU is 32-bit.what about SIMM ?

Hey

I'm not asking to solve a problem or asking for my pc , i'm intersted in Hardware;)

The Question Is :
Are all SIMMs 32-bit ?

I guess the answer is "yes"

Anyway , let us discuss the Bandwidth needed for each processor , how to calculate it ?
what I know is that :
Multiplying the FSB * 32 (or 32-bit processors).
then multiplying Memory speed * 2 (f it is DDR) * 32 ( if memory is 32-bit ) or 64 ( if memory is 64 like DIMM).

if this is the right way then there will be a problem if the Memory is SIMM 32-bit !!! it will unsuffcient !
that what i want to reach. .. i'm just intersted in Hardware and want to build my knowlge :)

thank you all

YES

all simms are 32-BIT

else, the CPU bandwidth required depends on the Northbridge chipset, which are 64-BIT as for now, so taking example of Northwood Chipset of Intel P-4

800MHz X 64-BIT = 51200 b/s = 6400MB/s ~ 6.4GB/s roughly

same rule applies on DDR as well, like DDR = 64-BIT so 400MHz DDR has bandwidth of 3.2GB/s on same principle. which is true theoritically.

32-BIT isnt used on FSB as for now, whilst DDR memory architecture is still applicable to be used with 64-BIT CPU's as its on 64-BIT already.

32-BIT memory is obviously insufficent for the current processors.

btw, why are you intrested in digging up the graves? did babbage came into your dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom