Zallman Tower...On/Off/On/Off...

mw4man

Solid State Member
hello...

[placing this thread here...not sure where else to start]...

Running a Zallman tower in my recording studio, w/ an RS-700-AMBA-D3 Silent Pro Cooler Master Power Supply. (see below for remainder of specs).

Turned it on this afternoon; & it started/shut off/started/shut off about 8X. On the next go-round...it stayed on, followed by a prompt which basically said that after several unsuccessful start-up attempts, do I wish to start in BIAS Mode?

Guess I made the wrong choice (NO), after which it will start/shut off indefinitely; & never stay on. I'm thinking it could be the PS or CMOS Battery...but does anyone here have any sort of experience w/ this sort of thing?

(I have to finish my current CD w/ this machine. If I go to a new machine, my UAD-1 system will need to be upgraded; & the plug-in xfer settings alone would take dozens & dozens of hours to implement)

thanx for any help,

MWF
Intel Core i7 2600 CPU
Intel Core i7 LGA1155 MoBo
8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD
Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD
Win 7 Professional 64-Bit
Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16
Universal Audio UAD-1
Cakewalk SONAR PE XI
Steinberg WaveLab 7
NI Komplete 5

Open it up and see how dirty it is, it might just need a good blowing out. If you attempt to blow it out, find something to hold the fans in place so they do not over spin while your blowing it out. Personally I use wire ties installed backwards so I can un-zip them and save for the next time

You may want to get a power supply tester, they are still fairly cheap
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1FR7LV1IP85E7&keywords=power+supply+tester+pc&qid=1636380202&sprefix=power+supply+tester,aps,201&sr=8-4
I take it that your pc must be close to or just over 10 yrs judging from that i7 2600 cpu. That is the reason I'm suggesting that you need to test that power supply because they do deteriorate with age, even the better brand names do age.

It could also be your memory too, and you can check that for free with some effort on your part. You'll need to down load Memtest, burn the .iso to a bootable usb stick and boot your pc to the memtest software on the usb stick. Run the memory test for 12 hrs and if you get any type of faults replace the memory.
Get the free version:
Memtest

Last edited:
THANX!...

1) Opened/cleaned machine w/ fans held stationary.
2) Upgraded RAM 6 months ago (from 8 > 16)...never had an issue. (can't do MemTest unless I can get the thing fired up anyway).
3) OK to use the paper clip test for the PSU (as opposed to buying a PSU tester)?
4) I can also get that exact PSU, refurbished...for like 40 bucks, online. I'm thinking that may be a good place to start, given the paltry expenditure ($)

MWF

a paper clip test does not help much....Can you take the power supply into a local pc shop and get it tested there? If you do really need a power supply, Do not go cheap on the very heart of your entire system! It will be well worth your while to get a good name brand PSU with a good warranty. You can get a 2032 coin cell battery for your bios, but usually you only need to do that if the time/date and bios settings do not keep.
Another thing that can cause this on/off cycle is the power good signal from the power supply to the main board. The board starts up, but if the power good signal is bad, the board will shut itself down and will attempt to restart again. This signal is measured in milliseconds. A power supply tester will measure the power good signal for you.

Last edited:
So...

Pulled & then reinstalled the graphics card. The first boot took 2X (which was weird), but every boot since than has been successful on the 1st attempt; & it seems tp be running OK.

MWF

Back
Top Bottom