You're Not Old Unless You Can Remember...

Shoot, People look at me funny when i go to the same side of my girlfriend to open the car door for her. I've never really thought of it as extra polite, always just common courtesy. I open doors for elderly, let the elderly cut me in grocery lines, etc.

The other day There was a man that took off from a traffic light in a pickup truck and sheets of marble fell onto the road and no one would stop to help him, ended up getting out myself to help pick it up. It's a shame you never see anyone doing things like that anymore.

Everyone has a "me, me, me" attitude, No one wants to help out their fellow man. I think something needs to be done about it, but everyone has become lazy and too set in their ways. It's easier to care about themselves and themselves alone, which is pathetic.

Technology makes people lazy. They get used to being lazy. Get used to not helping, or not being courtious. So thus we have the modern world.

Paradox said:
Shoot, People look at me funny when i go to the same side of my girlfriend to open the car door for her. I've never really thought of it as extra polite, always just common courtesy. I open doors for elderly, let the elderly cut me in grocery lines, etc.

The other day There was a man that took off from a traffic light in a pickup truck and sheets of marble fell onto the road and no one would stop to help him, ended up getting out myself to help pick it up. It's a shame you never see anyone doing things like that anymore.

Everyone has a "me, me, me" attitude, No one wants to help out their fellow man. I think something needs to be done about it, but everyone has become lazy and too set in their ways. It's easier to care about themselves and themselves alone, which is pathetic.
Good for you Hunter, too many people these days don't have common courtesy, I often hold a store door open, but usually half a dozen walk through, with not a word of thanks, they can see I'm "getting on" too!

Brookfield said:
I often hold a store door open, but usually half a dozen walk through, with not a word of thanks, they can see I'm "getting on" too!

+1,000,000,000,000!!!!! These people these days are complete *%#@^$*@%'s!! I mean, how hard is it to muster up a "thanks"? Even if you don't mean it you can say it!!! Once in a blue moon I get someone that holds the door for both my GF and myself. I make a point to say thanks and usually say it before and after going thru the door!

I find people in the United States are the worst for not being courteous. Of course this doesn't go for all Americans because I see you, Clutch, are quite a courteous person but whenever I go to the states i already know that i will get treated like crap (and it's not because I am Canadian because people don't know that when i am there). I don't know what it is but a lot of them are naturally assholes. It happens to an extent in Canada but to be honest, we really are nicer people overall. It seems strange that there is such a drastic difference when only a fence separates Canada and the U.S.

Hmm, I don't remember all of that, but I can certainly recall much of it, I'm still deciding whether or not that's a good thing.

Ð88 said:
I find people in the United States are the worst for not being courteous. Of course this doesn't go for all Americans because I see you, Clutch, are quite a courteous person but whenever I go to the states i already know that i will get treated like crap (and it's not because I am Canadian because people don't know that when i am there). I don't know what it is but a lot of them are naturally assholes. It happens to an extent in Canada but to be honest, we really are nicer people overall. It seems strange that there is such a drastic difference when only a fence separates Canada and the U.S.

you're right. I think America has gotten lazy as a society especially when it comes to simple things such as common courtesy. At school for example, the teacher tells us to be quiet and you'd think that on the first time it would happen right? no, it takes like 10 and in all my classes this is the case. I'm the kind of person who respects my elders and helps them out and does what they say the FIRST time they're asked to and don't give any lip about it. I think that this is why people thing teenagers are so rude and why America has a reputation for not being a nice society.

troy272 said:
you're right. I think America has gotten lazy as a society especially when it comes to simple things such as common courtesy. At school for example, the teacher tells us to be quiet and you'd think that on the first time it would happen right? no, it takes like 10 and in all my classes this is the case. I'm the kind of person who respects my elders and helps them out and does what they say the FIRST time they're asked to and don't give any lip about it. I think that this is why people thing teenagers are so rude and why America has a reputation for not being a nice society.

I blame the parents for being lazy, uncaring shits. You really teach your kids from the get go, they'll turn out alright. My parents, my mom and step dad, taught me to ALWAYS hold the door for a lady and always take the bill, even if the woman is "treating" to the meal. I was brought up with respect and plan to pass that to my son (if my GF blesses me with one!!). Parents are more concerned with getting their kids out of their hair and having time away from their kids anymore. I go to the mall and all I see is kids as young as 8 walking around on their RAZR phone, dressed like hoochie mama's and holding a 300 dollar coach bag and fake ass thugs and thru all this spoiling, you aren't allowed to hit them when they mouth off or do something wrong. I caught my fair share of ass whoopings and I deserved EVERY ONE! These days you even hit you are gonna give your child a swift smack on the ass and they threaten to call DYFS!! I'd hit 'em and hand 'em the phone. "Here ya go!"

Ð88 said:
I find people in the United States are the worst for not being courteous, Canadian's are nicer people overall.
I had a Canadian brother-in-law, he was a really nice guy, my theory is that Canadians have far less mixed blood, French, English, Inuit, & Dutch, & a few more perhaps?, whereas in the States, there are many hundreds of other races, perhaps thousands, as you said, of course there are many many Americans who are calmer & overall nicer people, I have friends there, & they're very laid back, perhaps the most abrasive live in large cities, it's the same in England where I live, small towns & villages, fine, but in somewhere like parts of London where people walk by someone being viciously attacked, & I don't mean just women, that's understandable, but hunky men will too, I've seen it!

Brookfield said:
my theory is that Canadians have far less mixed blood, French, English, Inuit, & Dutch, & a few more perhaps?, whereas in the States, there are many hundreds of other races, perhaps thousands

no actually that isn't true at all. Canada is well known to have quite a diversified composite of races but what I notice is that the tension that exists in the States among different races (racial tensions) is a lot less severe and lot more ignored in Canada. Yet, this is not what affects how courteous people are because I experienced it myself first hand in the U.S. on several occasions where people there were just plain rude to me (and that was other white people like myself). So I don't think race has anything do to with it. I really can't put my finger on exactly what it is though. It's all just weird and doesn't make sense to me why a lot of people aren't polite. IMO, it feels good to do a good deed for someone else even if it as simple as holding a door for a person. Also, i don't see how you can't notice someone putting forth the effort to be courteous to you and not respect that and return the favour. It is a strange world we live in.

Back
Top Bottom