You know what sucks???

Status
Not open for further replies.
evelmunkey said:
I have earned a 95 or greater in all of my math classes so far (Calc 1, 2, 3, differential equations, linear algebra).

You know what's hard?? Complex Analysis. INCREDIBLY, MINDNUMBINGLY difficult to understand.

003 said:
Hmm, I always though myself discrete math was one of the easier math classes. Geometry is hard.

Geometry is the easiest math I have ever learned. I often hear people say it's hard but to me it's not. Some say your either an algebra kind of guy or a geometry kind. But I'm like right down the middle. Their both easy. Although I plan on getting a degree in computer science so I hope that math won't be too difficult for me.

evelmunkey said:
Discrete Math --

Has anyone had to suffer through this class?? It is required for the computer science degree and it REALLY sucks. Just wondering how everyone did if they had to take this class!
I remember doing some of that in High School and the teacher telling me that it's unlikely that i will be doing any of that in real life. However from time to time, i do find myself using it.

Bah, I feel like a moron compared to you guys, I'm taking Geometry as a sophomore, albiet this is my twice time taking it(I also took Algebra 1 twice..) Geometry isn't so hard the second time around(Not at all.) But I have no clue how I'm going to do any of this stuff you guys are talking about.. :(

Spartan said:
You know what's hard?? Complex Analysis. INCREDIBLY, MINDNUMBINGLY difficult to understand.
Yeah, I have heard that is a ***** of a class. I am taking intro to probability this semester and this guy going for his Phd is in there are is always talking about that class. (stupid he has to take intro to prob when he already has masters and has had classes like Complex Analysis). He basically teaches our class, he is always correcting the prof.

Deathawk said:
Bah, I feel like a moron compared to you guys, I'm taking Geometry as a sophomore, albiet this is my twice time taking it(I also took Algebra 1 twice..) Geometry isn't so hard the second time around(Not at all.) But I have no clue how I'm going to do any of this stuff you guys are talking about.. :(

Don't feel like a moron, I didn't go past algebra 2 in high school...I didn't take a math my senior year. I have taken all of those courses in college.

Precalc was where math stopped making sense to me, but then that was when my motivation towards school took a nose dive.

Right now I pretty much want a new brain :/

I took geometry sophmore year too! : ) Then algebra 2 for junior year then precalc for senior year. Not much math required for a pre-pharm track so I'm good.

Spartan said:

It's not really that hard, you just have to stop thinking in "real" terms and think in a more abstract fashion. A complex function is a mapping from a 2D set unto a 2D set, so from the beginning it's very different from a real function.

To be honest with you, Complex Analysis is one of the math subjects I have loved the most. It's the theorems! You can get very deep and powerful results without too much trouble. Of note are Cauchy's Integral Theorem and Formula, the Residue Theorem, Laurent Series and of course, Liouville's Theorem, which can be used to prove the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. The proof of any of these things fits in a single page!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom