Yet more problems :/

Joel~

Daemon Poster
Has anyone here experienced any trouble getting the stock Phenom 9950 cooler (the one with all the copper pipes) to fit their motherboard properly? I went to put it on half an hour ago and found that, despite sitting on top of the CPU in the way you would expect, it's very difficult to get the metal clips to latch on to the plastic hook things on the motherboard and, if you have managed to get that far, it is not possible to lock it in place with the plastic arm.

Just wondering if any others have experienced such a problem and if they know of any ways to get round it?

Thanks.

hi,

i'm no expert and I don't have experience with the exact heatsink you are talking about, but from what i remember when i build my computer, I had the same problem.

Mounting my heatsink seemed to be the hardest part. It sat on the processor like you would expect, but it took an extreme amount of pushing to get it clamped down correctly. I'm not saying put all your weight on it and crack your mobo :p ... just sharing the experience. seemed to take quite a bit of work to get that thing on right. I think i had to push down very carefully with a flathead screw driver on one side after getting the other to clamp down. then the plastic arm locked down pretty easily after i got that.

hope it helps, might not :p

Thanks for that, it's at least a little reassuring that I'm not the only one ever to have experienced this issue. I can get the clips on, but you can feel that if you push the plastic arm any further something is going to break - it's under a serious bit of stress once it gets past half-way. :/

Would an after-market cooler be a better solution, then? And, if so, which one? I'd like something that blew the air towards the back of the case, if possible - like the Scythe Ninja. Would the Ninja fit inside the case? It's a Gigabyte Isolo 210, but I'm not 100% sure there'd be enough room for something that big...

Back
Top Bottom