XP/Vista Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Direland

In Runtime
Evening chaps.

I recently acquired another computer and I've been trying to set up a network connection between that one, which has Windows XP Pro on it and this one, which has Windows Vista Home Premium on it.

The workgroup name is the same on both machines and yet on the XP machine, under "Workgroup Computers" I can only see the XP Machine. However, under "My Network Places" I can see the Public shared folder from the Vista machine and even put files, folders, programs etc onto the Vista machine.

On the Vista Machine I can't see the XP Machine at all, nor it's shared folders.

Both computers are connected to a router, along with the other machines in the house.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
D.

Sharing and Discovery:

Network Discovery: On
File Sharing: On
Public Folder Sharing: On
Printer Sharing: Off
Password Protected Sharing: Off
Media Sharing: Off

Okay my appologies. After re-reading your post your issue isn't w/ the Vista machine, it is with the XP machine (although knowing you have those settings correct helps).

Sounds stupid, but make sure you are sharing what files you want to share on the XP machine. Also ping it just to ensure that the computers can communicate. Reboot if you haven't already.

Rebooted several times. A development has occurred - the XP Machine can now see the Vista Machine in the workgroup as well as the public sharing folders. However, the Vista machine still cannot see the XP Machine.

In fact, the Vista Machine can see a computer which isn't even in the same workgroup as these two, but is on the same router.

If I double click on the Vista Machine via the XP Machine it comes up with the message "\\Rinso is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource, the Network Path was not found".

Hello,

turn off simple file sharing in XP. That should solve this issue.

Cheers.
Mak

Mak, I turned it off, gave both computers a restart but now the XP machine doesn't find the Vista machine and vice versa. Also the Vista machine no longer sees the other "odd" machine.

EDIT: Re-made the Network on both machines, restarted (again) and now the XP machine can see the Vista machine and access it, while the Vista machine still cannot see the XP machine.

2nd EDIT: Pinged both machines, XP can ping the Vista machine but the Vista machine just times out when trying to ping the XP machine.

Hello,

Try the other way around. Turn on simple file sharing on both. See if that helps.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom