Xp Pro Install Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foyman

In Runtime
Hi, currently I have XP pro but it is a burned version from my friend and I am unable to update and all that good stuff, but I am in the process of building a new computer and I'm going to get a real version of XP Pro, and I will also be keeping my current HDD and putting it into the new comp. Could you tell me how I should go about uninstalling the current XP and installing the new XP? Do I need to format the HDD in my current setup, then put the HDD in my new setup and then install XP? Also my HDD is SATA so do I install the drivers for that before or after XP?

Thanks in advance.

Just throw ur HDD into ur new machine, insert the win XP CD and install ur SATA drivers by pressing F6 (incase u didn't know u need to have ur SATA drivers on a floppy disk)

Continue to install windows and when it prompts u choose to delete the current partition, now you can create a new partition and format the drive. Windows will automatically restart and continue loading but remember do not remove the SATA drivers disk untill windows prompts you to as it access the information on it several times.

Drworm2005.

I hope you get that new version soon and you set fire to that copied CD very soon, you do know that is considered a pirated CD and you admited to using it.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Tyler1989 said:
I hope you get that new version soon and you set fire to that copied CD very soon, you do know that is considered a pirated CD and you admited to using it.

yes I know what it is and I don't particularly care for it that is why I'm not asking to use it again, and I'm going to buy a new actual one.

drworm2005 said:
Just throw ur HDD into ur new machine, insert the win XP CD and install ur SATA drivers by pressing F6 (incase u didn't know u need to have ur SATA drivers on a floppy disk)

Continue to install windows and when it prompts u choose to delete the current partition, now you can create a new partition and format the drive. Windows will automatically restart and continue loading but remember do not remove the SATA drivers disk untill windows prompts you to as it access the information on it several times.

Drworm2005.

Thanks for the response Drworm, I was wondering, you said to just put the HDD in the new system, but what I was thinking is that wouldnt that mess with the new setup somehow seeing as how there is already information on the HDD? or did you mean before I put the HDD in I need to format? sorry just a little confused and I don't want to mess anything up.

I was talking about putting the HDD into the new rig then formatting cause the first thing you would be doing is booting from the NEW Win XP CD. No information on the HDD would be read.

If you like you could always format the HDD then put it in ur new rig.

Either way would be fine.:)

Drworm2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom