XP OS, pagefile ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funf

Solid State Member
Having moved the pagefile to another partition I am dismayed to find that it still exists on C:, even deleting it in DOS it is remade at each bootup.

A further ugliness is that it seems ever to be deep within the area of system files.

Any ideas ??

...what are you trying to do? The windows pagefile is a very necessary part of your OS. It works as a scratch disk for your RAM. If you'd like to minimize the amount of space it uses, right click on my computer then use > advanced > performance options. From there, "change" your virutal memory settings. Adjust the amount to something more suitable to your tastes, but I highly recommend a minimum of at least 1.5*RAM and a max of 2*RAM at the very least.

Thank you, but not much sollace !

That is all done aswell as moving it to a different partition.

What I wish to be rid of is the dummy in C: created at bootup regardless of the settings.

Same thing happens in Win 2000, has not happened in 98 95 or 3.11.

Pagefile

Thanks for the consideration but I have discovered the answer.

Such a change in the settings procedure, I am sure many such are only done to prove they have done work to justify the price.

Formerly it was sufficient to specify a size & location for the swapfile, and after a reboot all was well.

Someone has had the great idea that one might have more than one swapfile ? ? ? ?

It is necessary now to kill the original by checking the dangerously named button "No Swapfile", thereafter only th newly specified one will be present.

...yeah, but why would you want to do that?

I'm glad you solved your problem and everything, but I still don't see the point. iirc, each drive has its own page file for operations that are stored on that local drive. you can modify these settings so that drives with more intensive processes (ie., photoshop or avid) have more processing ability, at the expense of used space. I can understand why you would seperate these page files by program intensity. but why would you want to get rid of one all together? even more to the point, why the one on your c: drive...which should be your fastest drive?

just curious ^_^ I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

pagefile

first I point out that I have long been a "partitioner".

c: I leave to Windows to run as its own bran tubb.

D: for prgrammes

E: data storage.

f: swapfile and Windows installation CD copied.

Why ?

even without the swapfile the c: drive fragments almost immediately, Only in Norton have I seen an attempt to put old , unchanging files at the start of drive. But Semantec have made such a mess of Dr Peter's fine work that I wont ggive it house room.

What a system that updates files in the root, has many more daily rewritten files in the Windows folder.

Any defrag means virtually every file has to be shuffled about. An alternative would be to have a seperate folder for those endlessly growing files leaving the operating system files to remain in initial installation positions.

I dont have sufficient knowledge of how the swap file operates to be sure that the OS would know that a certain bit of ram should be placed on a particular drives pagefile, and MS seem to assume a single pagefile is sufficient. I prefer to fix the size and remove it from the OS drive. Many others think this is no bad practice.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom