Xp activation

superman22x

Golden Master
Hi, we have a dell computer and it came with a windows xp reinstall disk. So now that I have my computer built I want to install it on my computer, but it wants me to activate. It gave me a product Identification # and told me to call in with it, so I did, and the machine I talked to told me it was an unregitered ID. I dont want to buy a whole new OS so what do I do?

First of all the disc is meant for a dell which probably means it verifies the tag number etc. I have had problems like this before - I tried installing XP Professional from one of my Dell Laptops on my Dell XP Home Laptop, it wouldnt let go past the activation page so I installed a "legitimate" copy of someones at work.

Anyway - stop cheating Microsoft out of their profit, go buy an install, their hell of a cheap these days. Other than that - aquire it from, um, somewhere that I must not say.

j.venning said:
First of all the disc is meant for a dell which probably means it verifies the tag number etc.....
Exactly, give up now, Dell oem Windows won't install on a generic pc.

Your cheapest option to get XP Pro is the Academic Upgrade version, last time I bought one it was $A99.00 (approx $US75.00)

You then need to do a clean install from the upgrade disk, which at some stage will ask you for a "previous operating system disk" to verify you can use the upgrade. Any windows disk apart from win95 will do, no key code needed just the disk, once the XP installer has verified the disk the install will proceed to completion.

j.venning said:
their hell of a cheap these days. Other than that - aquire it from, um, somewhere that I must not say.
Eh, $140.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116059

I still say it's too much for a piece of hardware that has sold more than most if not all games.

I Microsoft made a version of Vista that was specifically brewed for games and such for a cheaper price.. they would probably be hated a lot less..

! Heres the plan ... wat i did was call and tell the Win XP company that i had to erase my whole computer and tell them u got it from bestbuy and they give you a code that activates windows .. Wala .. it works .. no $100 . worked for me .. but there indians so i dont think they understood very well

Actually your best option would be to get a hold of an actual disk for your version of windows or a copy of it and use the product key from your old dell (this is assuming of course that you removed it from the old computer so that you are within accordance of the law. just install as normal and activate, i've done it on many computers at work, just be sure to take the os off your other computer.

Yea, there is not much you can do with the DELL CD, if your using the cds on another computer it wont work. Most times the cd's that come with the comptuer have drivers that might tried to load and if its not the correct machine it wont work. Also sometimes the CD will scan the bios for the mach type and serial number and see if its correct.

There are ways around this but where not going to talk about that. Naughty stuff.

Back
Top Bottom