XM/Sirius Radios?

IowaBoy

In Runtime
Ever since I started listening to the radio more (mom got rid of the cable) I've found that the area I am in only has one good talk show (the rest are just religion). So last night I started looking at XM and Sirius Radio and found that they had a good range of entertainment and talk shows (Howerd Stern YAY!) problem is that I do not know what type of radio to get. I did look at the plans and the A La Carte Gold is what I am interested in; problem with this is that it requires a "special" radio, and this radio is over $100. So, are there any other radios/packages that you guys would recommend (or a radio that will work with the La Carte plan)? Basically all I am wanting is a nice cheap package to listien to talk/entertainment shows and some music every now and then (Bad Religion, Godsmack, Anti-Flag, etc..).

Also what all do I need to get to use it in home only?

Any suggestions welcome

I've never heard of anyone only wanting xm for in their home. Its usually an on-the-go thing.

Dont waste your money. Internet radio is the best way to go. Most of the sirius/xm channels also have an internet station.

Also, if there are any big cities anywhere near (120 miles or less in my experience) you can put a mega antenna on your radio to pick them up.

or ghetto rig it... go throw 30 gauge magnet wire all over in a tree (as high as you can get it) and run it through a window (its thin enough so itll still close) then attach it to your stereo and/or TV.

Pandora radio, last.fm, podcasts, podcasts, podcast. Did I mention podcasts? Those are free you know.

If you want a really good talk show, get the Preston and Steve podcast from WMMR http://www.wmmr.com/. It's on iTunes. Probably one of the best morning shows in the country.

I will admit the radio on the internet ideas are good. The problem for a consumer such as myself is that the Sirius Radio would be more of a bed side thing (though my computer is right be the bed lol) and that I don't wonna have my computer running 24/7.

Just to throw this out there, an iPod Touch may also achieve your goal. Listen to podcasts, music, and internet radio including Pandora radio. $200.

You can get a cheap Sirius radio at target or walmart and then order a home adapter/antennae kit online. My Sirius radio was only 15 bucks on sale. And you don't necessarily need the home adapter kit if you don't mind rigging up a power supply for the car radio type. The problem with internet radio, podcasts and such is the fact that they suck (sorry guys). The only way to get Howard Stern caliber content is to get a Sirius radio.

Well the other night my mom ordered one radio (we will end up with another one if we like it). If you call and order them directly from Sirius the radio is just $19.99 for one of the (can't remember the name of the radio) along with the first 3 months free (though this might apply for the in store radios, IDK).

the radio finally got here.........problem is that the home power cord is not included (blood pressure RAISING) so it looks like I wont be able to have it turned on unless I find one or rig the car one.

Back
Top Bottom