XBOX360 broken?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
This has not been a good week, first i accidently snap my (uninsured) phone in half, and then this...

I've had my XBOX360 since christmas 2006, it's in perfect condition as i'm very careful with it. I even try not to use it for extensive periods of time (no more than 2 hours without a break) to let it cool down because it gets so hot, based on how many stories i hear about them breaking.

Anyway, today, playing PGR3 on a Toshiba 32" HDTV, the image suddenly cut out. I turned the XBOX360 off, then on, and the same thing happened after 10 minutes of playing. Once again i restarted it and instead of the image completely going black, the screen became a mix of the correct image and fuzzy squares in a formal checkered pattern. I thought it might be the TV, even though it's only a few months old, so moved it onto a 42" Panasonic HDTV but after a couple of minutes play it did the same checkered fuzzy pattern and when i turned it on again nothing displayed and, well, it happened...the green ring of light changed, to my horror, to a red ring of light.

Is my XBOX360 broken?

...Looks like it by the sound of it :(

Luckily for you, Microsoft can save you, and will hopefully send you a revisioned one with cooler running, since they seem to be doing that with repaired consoles.

I'm sorry to hear about it though, and I know it must be a pain having to repackage :(

Leave it for a few hours though. It has been known to be an overheating error also.

Ok, so i turned on my XBOX360, twice, with the AV plug switch on TV and both times got this ring of light:

http://www.gamefreax.com/shop/pix/a/n/1163157611-27523.jpg

That apparently means there's a hardware failure and it needs to be repaired. Still, after switching the AV plug to HD it worked on both HD and AV and has been for the past half hour. It's good that it's working, however i don't expect this to last for long, still, if i send it to get fixed i don't want it to work at the time and have it sent back with a massive bill for their time!

Ideas?

If you have to send it back, you could always post a picture with it, showing through a mirror the 3 red lights, and the serial number at the back so they know its yours.

That's a good idea, though i don't know how i'd do that as the serial is on the back, and the light on the front.

Has anyone experianced this ring of light which means there's a hardware failure? If so, did it persist? I'm just confused as it seems to break and then sort itself out with no consistancy.

TBH mate id send it back n e 1 i mean when my equipment is nearly 12 months old i usually try break it in some acccidental way so i get a new 1 which gives u a new 12 month gurantee.

he he like my laptop that left on my very soft pillow for it to overheat and just claimed 1 day i tried to turn it on and it didnt.

i was in the room while it was overheating i was careful not to let it catch fire. damn thing took like 5 hours to do it though

plus u shud get the new cooler 1

If you're seeing a pattern on screen like that it usually means the red lights are related to the gpu going bad.

Like Ive seen problems whereby the motherboard gets so hot that the gpu pops out of its socket but that was fixed in the 360 elite.

TBH mate id send it back n e 1 i mean when my equipment is nearly 12 months old i usually try break it in some acccidental way so i get a new 1 which gives u a new 12 month gurantee.

Well i wasn't intending on being as cunning as that but that was a consideration; if it's not working properly i want to get it replaced now, before the warranty runs out.

I just don't know if i'll be able to prove that it's malfunctioning, considering it wasn't working yesterday, didn't work an hour ago, now it's working but i reckon it'll screw up again.

Also, is there any way to back up the HDD?

Cheers for all the help guys btw.

I've heard you can back up the HDD. Try a search on Google.

As for my post about showing a picture. Thats why I said to have a mirror in the picture, so you can capture both the red light and the serial. Not sure how the angling would work mind.

Ah right, that's very clever indeed. Do i need to take it back to GAME or send it directly to microsoft btw?

Back
Top Bottom