X1900XT vs. 7800GT

MikeReiner

Golden Master
Messages
5,055
I would just keep the 7800GT man.. it's a beautiful card that isn't going to let you down..

if you buy that 1900xt now, your going to be hurting when DX10 comes out and you can't even take advantage of it's features. So I suggest you save up for the DX10 compatable cards. Me on the other hand, I NEED an upgrade.... old Ti4200 lol
 

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Messages
1,887
Hmm... Well, when is Direct X 10 scheduled to come out? I'm just a little worried that it'll be a long while until it comes out. Yes, the X1900XT I'm looking at is 439 dollars on Newegg. However, I will be selling my 7800GT before I buy the X1900XT! So, if I do find someone to buy it, I'll probably only spend around 200-225 bucks for the X1900XT when I have money from the 7800GT.

I would just keep the 7800GT man.. it's a beautiful card that isn't going to let you down..

Well, actually, it already has, on two or so games. The ones I can think of off the top of my head is Oblivion and The Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB. They will not run on maximum. Quake 4 stumbles just a tad but it is fine, usually.

Thanks for the input, but if I can sell my 7800GT, I think that I'll go for it. Since Vista has been delayed, I think that we can safely say that the release date for the DX 10 cards, and DX 10 games, will be delayed a bit as well. Not to mention, they're still going to have to have support for DX 9 anyway, so they don't loose too much of a market for people who don't have state-of-the-art computers.

Thanks for the input, though! I really appreciate it.
 
Messages
2,519
DirectX 10 or DirectX X whichever you prefer to say ;) won't be out until January or February of next year. That's a LONG time. Get the X1900XT and flash it to an X1900XTX. :)
 

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Messages
1,887
That's what I've decided to do. Now, how do you recommend selling it? I would love to sell it here, however, I've never sold anything online before, so if there's a good way to do it, I'd love to know... I have enough money at the moment to go ahead and buy the X1900XT, which is good, but I want to make sure that I have someone who promises to buy it first. Obviously, I trust most of the members I see here (I don't mean that I distrust some of you, I'm just saying, the few that I know) so it would be great if I could find someone to sell it to here. Know anyone that's interested?
 

Quinton McLeod

In Runtime
Messages
299

Jamxx... Many of the people here would recommend a X1800XT, but I would not.

There is a difference between the X1800 XT 256 and the X1800 XT 512. You are better off getting the 7900GT instead of the X1800 XT. The 7900GT is about the same price and is faster. It also overclocks much better than the X1800 XT. The X1800XT 512 is on the same level as the 7900GT, but it's way more expensive.

The only benefit the X1800 XT has is the HDR + AA, but you'd be paying the same amount for a card that isn't much faster than the 7900GT
 

Logan1

In Runtime
Messages
265
sell it on ebay to people who only have a basic understanding of computer parts. you can get more for it. i have friends who play a lot of computer games who don't even know that there is a 7900GT! they think that 7800GTX is the max NVIDIA out there right now.(or used to think that, i informed them) if you sell to people who know exactly what it is worth you will get less (i.e. selling here or another computer forum). but i'm a dishonest mechant that way....your choice :D have fun
 
Messages
2,519
Quinton McLeod said:

Jamxx... Many of the people here would recommend a X1800XT, but I would not.

There is a difference between the X1800 XT 256 and the X1800 XT 512. You are better off getting the 7900GT instead of the X1800 XT. The 7900GT is about the same price and is faster. It also overclocks much better than the X1800 XT. The X1800XT 512 is on the same level as the 7900GT, but it's way more expensive.

The only benefit the X1800 XT has is the HDR + AA, but you'd be paying the same amount for a card that isn't much faster than the 7900GT


We're not recommending an X1800XT, we're recommending an X1900XT and flashing it to an X1900XTX. Which, is better then a 7900GT and even the 7900GTX. :)
 

Quinton McLeod

In Runtime
Messages
299
JustinMcG67 said:
We're not recommending an X1800XT, we're recommending an X1900XT and flashing it to an X1900XTX. Which, is better then a 7900GT and even the 7900GTX. :)


The X1900XT is not faster than the 7900GTX. The X1900XTX is. If you flash the X1900XT as an XTX, you will be doing nothing more but overclocking the card. The fans on the card are already loud, and the X1900 already runs hot. If he overclocks his X1900XT, he'll destory his card without better cooling.
 
Messages
2,519
Quinton McLeod said:

The X1900XT is not faster than the 7900GTX. The X1900XTX is. If you flash the X1900XT as an XTX, you were doing nothing more but overclocking the card. The fans on the card are already loud, and the X1900 already runs hot. If he overclocks his X1900XT, he'll destory his card without better cooling.

Well, it's not like he can't buy a Zalman or Kingwin Video Card cooler for it. They're not horribly expensive and cool the cards down very well. :)
 

Quinton McLeod

In Runtime
Messages
299
JustinMcG67 said:
Well, it's not like he can't buy a Zalman or Kingwin Video Card cooler for it. They're not horribly expensive and cool the cards down very well. :)


This is true. He could do that, but he'd be better off with a 7900 GTX and then overclocking that with the Kingwin Video Card Cooler. Not only will he spend less, but he'll get true X1900XTX speeds and maybe higher.
 
Top