x1900gt and 7600gt

sabbath70

Solid State Member
hello all. right now my specs in my pc are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2 x 512mb PC3200
Evga 7600gt
some MSI mobo with a 300W power supply

I have the opportunity to sell the 7600gt to my friend for 100 dollars and thought about upgrading to the Sapphire x1900gt because it was only 50 dollars more. My question is: would it be worth the 50 dollars to upgrade? Also im not sure if my power supply could handle that card and it also looks very elongated and im not sure if it would fit in my micro atx mobo. Maybe i'll just wait for dx10 and vista and buy some more ram at the time being.

If I were you, I would wait. Yeah, there's a difference in the performance, but in reality, it's not that big. A 300 watt PSU probably won't power an x1900, from what I've heard, those things suck juice like crazy. You'd be better off waiting until after the release of some reasonably priced DirectX10 graphics cards, and then totally revamp your system.

Dude, what the heck are you doing with a 300W PSU?

If you want that x1900GT, then you'd definatelly need a 465W PSU.

And if youi wait for a DX10 card, you should now. Don't buy that 8800GTX. Have you seen the prices? :eek:

I don't even think they make micro atx power supplies above 420 watts (the highest I could find on Tigerdirect or newegg.) I have a low power supply because a store bought HP m7248n was bought for me. It's a socket 939 and it probably isnt even worth upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom