WTF is up with my 7600gt

I guess it also depends if a servers allowed all the reflections etc, and other physics based mods that the original Half Life 2 has.

Because if some of thats been turned off or set to low, of course the frame rates going to be higher.

On servers I played CS:S on (a long time ago, when it first arrived), no physics were in play, and no reflections on guns, etc either.

I don't know wheather that has changed on some.

The Amish Kid said:
I usually play in servers with about 20 people. Sometimes there's less but its usually around 20.
Then depending on the map and how hairy the firefights get, your framerate could jump all over the place. I read somewhere that even an FX-57 dropped to 40 fps in the most extreme hairy situations.

But I guess my point is, you can't expect flawless performance from css unless you have the best of the best hardware. It just so happens that you can play the game with much weaker hardware than top of the line.

MarxSoccer said:
I always get about 120 in the Stress Test, but in actual gameplay it's never that high
Exactly. In the stress test, you don't exactly have 20 people running around shooting at each other, people dying with rag dolls dropping to the ground, etc. The CPU has to crunch all that stuff, and if it's not up to snuff, then the framerate is going to drop a lot. I get about 112 FPS in the stress test with all settings maxed.
The Amish Kid said:
I usually play in servers with about 20 people. Sometimes there's less but its usually around 20.
10 was a bad estimate on my part, usually around 20 for me as well. Heh. Your cpu is vastly more powerful.. so it's not suprising it performs a helluv a lot better.

i get about 130 in the stress test but i find that i get different fps in diff maps in css, its also very dependant on what resolution u play at, i recommend 1024x768 because it looks good and u can play with really high fps

The Amish Kid said:
I keep around 150-200fps in cs:s. Maybe sometimes it drops down around 100. Thats with full shadows and all that on 1024 x 768. So he isnt really insane. Really it dosen't matter what your framerate is as long as its over 30. Anything below that gets choppy IMO.

why did you have to say that? :mad:

gaming_freak said:
i get about 130 in the stress test but i find that i get different fps in diff maps in css, its also very dependant on what resolution u play at, i recommend 1024x768 because it looks good and u can play with really high fps
I run 1024x768, 2xAA, full HDR, 16xAF, all other settings maxed. I've found that if I lower the AF or the AA, the framerate is no higher. I can even play at 1280x1024 and still get about the same framerate.. has to be a CPU bottleneck. But I stick to 1024x768 so that I can have a refresh rate of 100. Can't do that at 1280x1024.

MikeReiner said:
I run 1024x768, 2xAA, full HDR, 16xAF, all other settings maxed. I've found that if I lower the AF or the AA, the framerate is no higher. I can even play at 1280x1024 and still get about the same framerate.. has to be a CPU bottleneck. But I stick to 1024x768 so that I can have a refresh rate of 100. Can't do that at 1280x1024.
try overclocking your cpu by about 200mhz, see if that helps

Back
Top Bottom