Wow. i suck..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read to avoid molex doublers if possible.

Dude, i power one of my 8800GT's in my folding rig with a double molex to pci-e connector and its fine...the system is on 24/7 and its been that way for a couple months now.

Yeah, a direct pci-e plug from the psu is better but if you dont have any spares and molex
hanging off the psu, by all means use them.

That hiper psu is so much better than the ez cool..

Meh, i'll try it then :)

I might open up the EZCool and Hiper and post comparison shots if anyones remotely interested ?

I have decided it would be indecent of me to not fold with my new card, if it's possible. I'm a total f@h noob.

Would a 4870 be any good ?
How do i install it ?
what am i actually looking to achieve (Like, how do i know how much progress/work my GPU has done)

if you open them up, the warranty is gone.

You want to fold? Great, all you need to do is download the latest drivers, install the GPU2 client, let it run.

4870 is an alright folder, its funny the 8800GTS 320 actually folds almost twice as fast...Nvidia is pwning ATI in this area, but still you should fold with it.

The purpose of folding is to create a large array of computers which can help find cures for different diseases. progess is monitored by a program called fahmon, it gives you all the info you need to make sure the client
is running the projects correctly.

ppd is points per day, and the points system is pretty much a way to get you to compete against other people, and it gets very competitive and addicting. If you look at my sig, the 24hr avg is my average ppd, and the score on top is my total. 4870 should get about 2500ppd, im producing 5-6 times as much.

do you have the card now???

Thanks,

i am picking the card up later tonight from the local delivery depot.

How does that work then... my old 8800GTS is twice as fast o_O This just because of drivers and support for ATI cards ? or because of different architecture etc.

Can you get it running on more than one pc but use the same account ?

I asked and my grandad (an average dell with a 8600 card) , dad (Quad Core + 8600) , sister (Pc sucks, but it's better than nothing), will all run it for me if it's possible ?

You can fold on as many pc's as you want, and you can run up to 16 different clients on the same pc.

All you do is pick a user name, and enter in the team number.

Nvidia cards are faster than ATI cards at folding, mainly because of CUDA.

Yeah they can all run it, the 8600GT gets about 1,500ppd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom