Would someone please explain to me why tech tv failed or merged and died shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
Back in in 1999 I had knology for about a year and on one of the lineups with anime network, I discovered tech tv!
Man alive, that channel was very awsome even when technolgy back in the late 90's and early part of 2001-2003 was changing rapidly.
I enjoyed alot of the content that they displayed until that hideous G4 merged and destroyed everything great and sacred about the channel.

What I don't get is why in the world did ZDTV have to merge with them ?
Was there some sort of money problems or business situations going on in order for them to leave or cable boxes and tv tuner cards ?

Also I want to know about your opinions before and after the merger,

We never got it here but I know Leo Laport and a few others moved there shows / content online and kept making them.

Welcome to the world of business. That is exactly what happened. TechTV had very little following. G4 had a much larger following. You need viewers to stay alive. TechTV didnt have it. G4 did. End of story.

As much as people like to think that TechTV was popular. It wasnt. The truth is that it had as much of a following back then as there was people who really knew how to use Windows. So less than 1% of the people online today. You cant survive with a viewership like that.

As I said Leo carrys some of it on his website current stuff too, just don't listen to security now as you will just waste bandwith on a spinright advert with crappy audio.

We never got it here but I know Leo Laport and a few others moved there shows / content online and kept making them.

i did some searching to expand on Saxon's post

TechTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Show personalities
A few of the personalities and hosts that were featured on TechTV and G4techTV programming included Leo Laporte, Kate Botello, Patrick Norton, Chris Pirillo, John C. Dvorak, Adam Sessler, Kevin Rose, Martin Sargent, Morgan Webb, James Kim, Sumi Das, Alex Albrecht, Stephanie Siemiller, Erica Hill, Victoria Recano, Robert Heron, and Jim Louderback.

Many former hosts of TechTV programs have gone on to create new programs distributed online: Leo Laporte's This Week in Tech, Chris Pirillo's live.pirillo.com, Systm, thebroken, From The Shadows, commandN, Diggnation, Infected with Martin Sargent, DL.TV, CrankyGeeks, InDigital, East Meets West, and Weezy and the Swish are some of the current shows being produced.

Leo Laporte hosted Call for Help which aired until April 6, 2007. It was revamped and renamed The Lab with Leo Laporte and was shown on G4techTV Canada and the Australian HOW TO Channel. The show was filmed in HD and Laporte hoped to have it picked up by an American network. The series has since been cancelled due to poor ratings.

although Mak provided a better explaination. this snippet notifies us where we can find most of the TechTV ppl now

TechTV - The Official TWiT Wiki

TechTV (formerly ZDTV) was a US cable television channel. The channel effectively became defunct after its owner (Comcast) merged the channel with gaming property G4 creating g4techTV. Within less than a year the TechTV branding was dropped all together. Many former hosts and guests of TechTV shows have gone on to appear on TWiT shows. TWiT founder Leo Laporte hosted the shows The Screen Savers and Call for Help on TechTV. Retrieved from "http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/TechTV"

Personally, I found Twit.tv and couple years ago. I started listening to Security Now with Steve Gibson and the Net @ Night with Amber MacAuthur. Great Shows. At that time, and may be still now, Leo Laporte was hosting a weekly show live over the net.

We here in Canada still get Leo, both Lab and Call for help. As they were both made up here. 1 in T.O. and thed other in Van.

Our content is actually different then US, well the line ups different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom