Would like to upgrade new laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8, have some questions

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi!

I would like to upgrade my wife's new laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and I have some questions.

I purchased her this new model:

ASUS K55A-BI5093B Laptop Computer - 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I feel it was an incredibly great deal for under $400.

Now, I would like to take advantage of the easy upgrade to Windows 8, but I think it must be done soon or we lose this window of opportunity to upgrade for only $15.

I went to ASUS website, and they are showing some updated drivers.

BUT, I also see this message alongside every new driver package:

"If you want to upgrade your OS from Win 7 to Win 8,to prevent software compatibility issue, please uninstall the older version driver before install the newer version driver."

I do not want to get lost in this process of updating from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I also do not want to mess up my wife's nice new computer [she loves it].

Not sure how to go about it. Microsoft is saying use their upgrade for Windows 8 I must use this:

Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant

Here is what the Microsoft link is telling me:

Congratulations! Here's your Windows Upgrade Offer promo code for Windows 8 Pro. Purchase and download your upgrade now.
PROMO CODE:
XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX

Next Steps
Running Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant helps you know if your PC is ready for Windows 8, provides you with a compatibility report, and then walks you through the steps to purchase, download, and install Windows 8 Pro, right from the Upgrade Assistant.
Important Notes:
• You'll need to run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on the PC you want to upgrade.
• Once you get to the purchase screen, it will show the full price. However, on the order confirmation page you'll have a chance to enter your promo code – then the price will change to your Windows Upgrade Offer promotional price* after clicking apply.

Can anyone here give me some good advice how I should go about upgrading my wife's new laptoppy?

Thank you,

Soar

Run the advisor, run the update. Either the update will take or it will get corrupted. There is a 50% chance for each and no way to guarantee that it will succeed with no issues.

Dude,

Those are really poor statistics!

Soar

Dude it has been that way since upgrade for Windows have been available! I dont know where you have been hiding since 1998, but that is how it always has been.

Unless you just installed Windows on the machine and perform the upgrade that instant, there is never a guarantee. The software that you install is not operated or controlled by Microsoft. Therefor if the developers of that software do not bother to take the time to make sure their software is compatible, our upgrade will fail.

It has nothing to do with Windows being bad, it has everything to do with what software YOU install. I can tell you for a fact that I have no issues with my upgrade install. The reason is I did just that. I installed Windows 7, did Windows Updates then installed Windows 8. Nothing more and guess what? My upgrade went flawless.

That is why they release the Upgrade Advisor to tell you of issues BEFORE you start the upgrade process. Even then there is no guarantee that if you do everything it says that your upgrade wont get b0rked. It is called operating a PC and it has always been this way. That is why upgrades are never recommended and clean installs always are.

Dude it has been that way since upgrade for Windows have been available! I dont know where you have been hiding since 1998, but that is how it always has been.

Unless you just installed Windows on the machine and perform the upgrade that instant, there is never a guarantee. The software that you install is not operated or controlled by Microsoft. Therefor if the developers of that software do not bother to take the time to make sure their software is compatible, our upgrade will fail.

It has nothing to do with Windows being bad, it has everything to do with what software YOU install. I can tell you for a fact that I have no issues with my upgrade install. The reason is I did just that. I installed Windows 7, did Windows Updates then installed Windows 8. Nothing more and guess what? My upgrade went flawless.

That is why they release the Upgrade Advisor to tell you of issues BEFORE you start the upgrade process. Even then there is no guarantee that if you do everything it says that your upgrade wont get b0rked. It is called operating a PC and it has always been this way. That is why upgrades are never recommended and clean installs always are.

Dude,

I must have been hiding in the world of apple or something!

Ok, Mak. Thanks for the good advice. Well, is there any way for me to do a clean install LEGALLY without having to pay for an entirely new copy of Windows 8?

Please let me know if it is possible.

Thanks,

Soar

Of course there is a way. They give you all the information that you need with the upgrade advisor. When you download it and run it you will see that they give you options to create an ISO file to use for later. That is exactly what you use to do a clean install. I have also done this method. Everything is right there, just have to carefully read what they provide all the answers are there.

Back
Top Bottom