Would like to build a PC for the 1st time :)

ydcl

Solid State Member
Hi all,

My 1st post: This looks like a good forum to learn about computer hardware and random PC things.

I want to spend around $600 - $700 on a new tower. I currently have a Intel Dual-core 2.7ghz, 6gb ram ddr3, 1GB NVIDIA GeFORCE GTS 250. My current PC cannot run Skyrim and lags on GTA IV. I've been told it's my CPU that holds me down.

I wanted to either build my own PC or buy one that gets to play better games. I've been looking on CompUSA and Newegg.
But my budget is about $600-$700.

Does anyone have any tips on how I should proceed?

Cheers,
Yan :thumb:

Well the information you heard about them games being cpu usage alot was indeed correct..

Can't you just upgrade your motherboard and CPU and take the graphics card and ram and psu and harddrive out and build them into the new motherboard and cpu, could save a bunch of cash and invest that into a nice big screen or a better graphics card or something in life..

Well the information you heard about them games being cpu usage alot was indeed correct..

Can't you just upgrade your motherboard and CPU and take the graphics card and ram and psu and harddrive out and build them into the new motherboard and cpu, could save a bunch of cash and invest that into a nice big screen or a better graphics card or something in life..

That wouldn't be a bad idea. But I would have to make sure the new motherboard matched everything from the current PC such as the ram, hard drive, graphics card and other stuff. Do I have to buy a new tower?
Currently I have an AsusTek CM5571 PCI Express motherboard (I think that is the info that tells about my motherboard).

If you're building a custom rig, get yourself a decent case. You can get something like an Antec Three Hundred for $65 which would make a good starting point.

Like IAntDemo said, you could definmitely get a nice motherboard and CPU combo, keeping the drive, PSU and GFX card.

If you want to reuse the case and stick the new motherboard/CPU combo in there, you shouldn't have a problem. You would need to get a MicroATX board.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. But I would have to make sure the new motherboard matched everything from the current PC such as the ram, hard drive, graphics card and other stuff. Do I have to buy a new tower?
Currently I have an AsusTek CM5571 PCI Express motherboard (I think that is the info that tells about my motherboard).

You already have a good graphics card to run the games you want, also you have some good ammount of ram, and it's ddr3 so heres a decent new motherboard and cpu you might want to look into getting, these will be a massive improvements towards your setup now..

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Combo, you could also buy another of your graphics card and run it sli with this motherboard.. which will make anything play awsome..

if this is too expensive you can still buy a sandy bridge i5 3.3ghz (QUAD CORE) at around $200-$220 and a cheap motherboard LGA 1155 at about $80

You don't need a new tower I don't think from what I can see, besides that everything should work just fine, hopefully the PSU has enough WATT

You already have a good graphics card to run the games you want, also you have some good ammount of ram, and it's ddr3 so heres a decent new motherboard and cpu you might want to look into getting, these will be a massive improvements towards your setup now..

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Combo, you could also buy another of your graphics card and run it sli with this motherboard.. which will make anything play awsome..

if this is too expensive you can still buy a sandy bridge i5 3.3ghz (QUAD CORE) at around $200-$220 and a cheap motherboard LGA 1155 at about $80

You don't need a new tower I don't think from what I can see, besides that everything should work just fine, hopefully the PSU has enough WATT

Most likely I will need a new PSU, my current one only has 450W. But I like the item you showed me. I may get that, I'll have my full money in a couple of weeks or so and I'll order that most likely.

Thanks for the help. I'll post the final PC stuff once I build it so you can see. I am actually thinking of then using my spare parts to build a cheap Internet surfing PC so my stepdaughter can use.

when you do purchase the parts and they all arrive they will come with instructions and diagrams on how to set them up, so it's pretty much straight forward from that, it's really easy building a computer, you'll learn alot, after learning the build you'll be able to configure your step daughters computer also.. from the left over parts we can just purchase what ever it needs to make it run online.. won't cost all that much, then both you will be up in no time and leaving yourself with $ money still from your investment..

Thanks for the ''thanks'' hehe

I rebuilt (upgraded) my system , which was awful, it had the worse parts ever.. after about a good few days on ebay, I got a second hand cpu/graphics card and memory all for 120pound, it aint a beast but it sure plays the sims 3 , gta, MW3 and skyrim but I don't play much now, just mw3 and the sims 3, the others I got bored with.

Hope to see you soon with the pictures, nice to see someone getting advice and posting their feedback

I'll be seeing you soon :)

EDIT: You'll be needing atleast 750watt just for future safe and your powerful sli if ever you do go down that route

Back
Top Bottom