Would It Be Hard To Replace Celeron D Processor With Pentium 4?

BK_123

Golden Master
Hi all, I have just had the idea of replacing my Celeron D processor with a Pentium 4 in my Acer Aspire SA85, Would this be possible and if so very hard to do?

not very hard. Pop the side of the case, pop the heatsink off, swap the cpu, put some paste back on, then put it back together.

It apears to be 775. The best one appears to be a 3.8ghz prescott HT, SL8J7. I would put in a 3.6 Cedar Mill HT,SL9KD because they run cooler.

The spec sheet says it comes with 128mb ram, I hope you upgraded that yes?

If you play video games it has an agp slot, a 6800gt or ultra agp on ebay runs about 30-40 bucks. a HD 3850 agp is the best but much more expensive.

Edit: note from some research i did: Does not support core 2 duo or even pentium D(sadly), so Pentium 4 is best option.

Last edited:
Thermal Paste, Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic is very good and do follow ESD (Electrostatic discharge) guidelines just to be on the safe side :)

Check the system buss speed before you do anything.
Processor
Intel® Pentium® 4 processor up to 3.2GHz, 533/800MHz system bus or
Intel® Celeron® processor up to 3.06GHz, 400/533MHz system bus

aPanzerIV - Yes I have upgraded the ram to 1GB which has been like it for ages, I wouldn't even try running real big games that require a lot of power only like Sims 2..

Setishock - I will check that out and get back to you..

Wildcat - Thanks for the info :)

Acer Support: Aspire SA85 Specifications

Looks like it's good for 800Mhz FSB P4's. Also, you may (or may not) require a BIOS update, depending on when that PC was actually sold and the CPU's that were released afterwards.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Even better, here's a site with the motherboard CPU support list. It may not be gospel, but I don't see a reason why not to take it as truth.

661FX-M7 MB.P3007.013 | Acer Aspire SA85 MBP3007013 Motherboard

Acer Support: Aspire SA85 Specifications

Looks like it's good for 800Mhz FSB P4's. Also, you may (or may not) require a BIOS update, depending on when that PC was actually sold and the CPU's that were released afterwards.

Yes I have seen there that some come with Pentium 4, I just wanted to double check as I haven't changed the CPU out of a computer, I have only ripped one out when taking it apart. Thanks for that last link, I found that helpful..

Back
Top Bottom