Would an i7 build be worth my money?

I think it depends on whether £600 is a lot to you or not.

But it sounds like your perfectly satisfied with the performance of the 9950/790FX, is it really worth spending £600 more when you don't really need the extra performance?

I would probably just find a replacement for the board.

I'm not satisfied with the performance, though, and that's the problem. It performs about as well as my old 5600+ system did, which is frustrating when you consider the difference between the two platforms. When you're still getting system slowdowns opening up simple applications or compiling a simple piece of code, it does get frustrating.

Like I said, the vast majority of my income is disposable at the moment and I already have a fair bit saved up, so £600 isn't an issue. But I would need to be certain that I'd be getting a significant performance gain.

In a word... yes. But only if you warrant the power!

I've been looking at upgrades for my set up. I do a lot of audio production work and need a build that will handle lots of data through-put.

As much as i'd love to stick with AMD the i7 rigs are just out performing the AMD set ups.

I looked at a machine by Scan and it out performs an octo-core rig, 2 X Quad Core Xeon X5355 CPU's, for only £1500.

There just isn't a AMD equivalent out there and i'm starting to need the power to exploit my DAW's.

Audio Production and that Scan computer has no sound card :p Bad choice of link.
In my opinion, for £1,500, you could do a lot better.

Getting an i7 rig is tempting though. I do a lot of work that requires a very powerful CPU, but I only upgraded 2 years ago, and its not worth the hassle.
I would personally replace the motherboard and hopefully things will improve.

Back
Top Bottom