Worst computer moments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my friends house i dropped a huge battery on to my Soprano case perspex and made a hole about the size of a 20 cent coin (Australian).

Also my computer wouldn't turn on when i was at a lan and i sat there all day fiddling with it, eventual getting it to work seldomly, then taking it home, plugging it in, and it worked. :confused:

When my Aunty asked me to fix her laptop which she had put the USB printer cable in her ethernet port...

My worst. Killing a PSU with a old and bad floppy drive. But i know someone who fried a whole mobo/CPU combo with a flick of their power switch. They forgot to make sure the heat sink was mounted right. Fried both parts. At the time was brand new Intel P4 and mobo. Cost over $1,000.

Ouuuchh!

I hate reading these, its painful. I hope it never happens to me, I'm too careless with my parts nowadays.

So far... my worst computer moments:

When I was building my friend's computer, it wouldn't POST after I hooked it all up. I spent probably 30-45 minutes checking on every connection. Then my hand bumped the RAM sticks, and one of them fell out. I didn't have one of the RAM modules in all the way, although it looked like it.

Then, when I was building my aunt/uncle's computer... It wouldn't turn on. I looked at all the connection at least 5 times. Checked the F_Panel connections. Still no boot up. So I took out the motherboard from the case/laid it out. Still no boot. I checked the F_Panel connections again..and I had the power light on the power switch pins. Spent probably about an hour trying to figure that one out...lol.

Well I know this stroy.
My cousin said some stupid secretary in the Army asked him where to USB is and she fliped the 220V to 110V , boom.

Tried installing Linux once on my old computer (which was my primary at the time) and ended up losing everything on the hard drive. I'm much better at it now, fortunately :p.

Worst thing? I was working with a fairly ancient desktop (Pentium 133) that still had the power switch on the front instead of a button. There were four leads from the PSU to the switch that I had taken out but didn't remember their order. I tried one combination and all the electronics in my room powered off - it tripped the circuit breaker. Tried another - same thing. Went to try a third time, and then saw the huge white label on top of the power supply essentially saying "hey idiot, like this!" with a diagram. It worked that time.

When I first built my new desktop, I forgot to put the memory in all the way, and I worried a bit when it wouldn't start up.

I haven't destroyed anything major (yet), but there's still time.

When I rebuilt my Compaq (it was an old Celeron, but that board fried, so I purchased a new Foxconn board and a Sempron 2600+ to put inside the old case). I first put in the new board, CPU, heatsink, RAM, GPU, and PSU and turned it on, but nothing happened. The fans spun for half a second and then nothing. I thought I had a fried board and was looking at it for countless hours wondering what was wrong. After discussing plans to RMA the board, that night I lifted the board out of the case and powered it on...and it turned right on and worked! Idiot me had forgotten that Compaq makes awful cases and there were pins sticking out of the case for screw holes on custom Compaq boards...apparently these metal pins were shorting out the new board and causing its self-test to turn it off. Once I removed those pins, the PC worked fine...until a few months later when the stupid cheap PSU shorted out and took out my whole basement computer room (kicked the GFI). Luckily no important parts (aka nothing other than the PSU) were damaged and Newegg sent me a replacement PSU for free.

i once put a hole through my new P4 mobo trying to install the zalman 7700 with the wrong screws X_X...it was my first build...never...never again will i do that....but <3 newegg for the 1.5 day shipping on my new mobo

applied AS5 to the memory and GPU on my 8800 GTS 320MB (back when they were expensive) and forgot to plug the heatsink fan back in... I smelled burning for a good minute before I realized what was wrong... I posted that on here before heh

sold that bugger off just a month ago! (it worked fine...)

Worst thing i have ever seen happen to a comp was some some ****tard who thought it would be a great idea to install a new wireless card in his desktop he didn't unplug it first... bang an the magical blue smoke was released.

Worst user must be the old dude who thought the DVD-RW drive was a cup holder an killed 6 drives before i caught on to why the comp killed off so many pioneer DVD-RW drives.

Worst thing i have done to a comp was with this crappy Octigen case i hat to work on for some cheep an nasty PC, had to pull the front panel off to get the optical drive in an with a combo of my own strength an the sheer craptastic quality of the case I ended up not only pulling the front panel off but the alu frame underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom