Worries About University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioanni

In Runtime
Hi there everyone. Now i've done my application's for university, and I am just waiting for my replies. Now the unviersities I have applied to are a few hours away from my home. So I would be living there in their dorm housing. First year students have guarantee housing. Now I have a few concerns which worry me. Now the housing they have requires you to share a room with someone else. Now my concerns have to do with my personal belongings and of course myself. What I fear is that I will be made fun of. I feel i'll be made fun of because of my computer. It is a bit outdated (367mhz amd k-6, 10gb hard drive, 192 mb ram, cd drive, 64 mb video card, and windows xp). Like for my computer its all I have, which I treasure like it does the job right? Yea. But it will be a bit outdated compared to the other students. For my cell phone package, i'm currently on pay as you. For my tv, I have a inexpensive 20" television. My radio, it is a cassette stereo with a/v input jacks for a external cd player or mp3 which I plug in my cd player and my ipod. My ipod is a 512mb shuffle so I fear I may be made fun of because of that. My computer desk is a hand-me-down and is abit wierd looking cause it is a counter-top on 2 night table style shelfs.
I dont know what to do, cause i'm going to go for sure. But I don't have all the luxuries that other have. Yes I have a fuly paid off house with food always on the table. But the way things are right now money is abit tight and I can't afford to go waste money on things like a new computer every two years or buy a more expensive tv. Should I be worrying about these things? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You shouldn't worry about it. You're going to meet people with wide ranges of money. Some probably even less fortunate than yourself. Unless you're going to Stanford (or any other Ivy League school) you shouldn't worry about what you have. If it works, fantastic. What matters more is what kind of person you are (to the people around you), and your grades (to your teachers/future employer).

You'll be fine. Don't let people judge you by how much money you have or by the stuff you have. If they make fun of you, forget about it you know that your better than them.

Snakes-eyes- That's exactly it, college kids should recognize that.

I've been more then fortunate in my life so far, and I don't look others who are less fortunate any differently.

All that matters is that you stay on top of your grades. They're shapeing your future. College is going to be the best time of your life. I myself graduated high school last year and am in my second term of college, and absolutely love it. Aslong as you stay on top of things, you'll be just fine.

Just kick major *** in college, get a 4.0, and before you know it, you'll be makeing 100k a year starting salary.(We can all dream right? Haha)

I'm not sure where you live, but if you wanted to, you can always get student loans, and take a little bit more out then you needed for entertainment if you wanted. They make is extremely easy to pay them back too. They don't ask for the money until you're out of school and into your career. And even then, they offer low monthly payments with low interest rates.

How many credits are you taking?

EDIT: If they do make fun of you or dissrespect you for some reason, beat the **** out of em.

You see I am very greatfull with what I have. Of course I'd love to have a better computer. When I got it, I had the best system in my class. Right now it's the worst. I know that I can't stop people for saying what they say or think what they think. As much as I know that it shouldn't bother me, to tell you the truth just hearing it does bother me, cause they don't know what its like to be me. I admit life was better years ago when I was like 9 but times have changed. But like I said my stuff do their jobs and I am happy with them, anything extra is just a bonus.

Get confidence, stupid.

one of my roommate acts and looks like he's out of the stone age.

My roommate had never seen a dishwasher since he moved here, he has neve had a computer, he sits and plays heavy metal on his acoustic guitar in his bathroom all day (i can hear the screaming outside our room), he'll pace around the kitchen at 1am for an hour, i passed 2 feet from him on the sidewalk, said "Hi Jeremy" and waved, he didn't notice anything. And like all animation students here, it seems like he's lived underneath a rock his entire life.

Trust me, you could be worse.

One my roommates only showered when he went home (parent's house) over the weekend. Furthermore, he used to eat pizza while taking a dump in the washroom. Even left a pizza slice on the toilet one day by mistake.

On a completely unrelated note, his room smelled like a chicken barn.

Moral of the story: you are a normal person.

Ridlyn said:
You'll be fine. Don't let people judge you by how much money you have or by the stuff you have. If they make fun of you, forget about it you know that your better than them.

then be a comedian

if you suck at least no one laughs at you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom