World Community Grid ~ helllooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been mentioned, we've already got a F@H team for this forum, and the number of contributing users is 23ish (really it's more like 17, some peeps in the list stopped folding a while ago but they've still got a ppd average)

There's just not that many people on here who are either capable or willing to run programs like these. Personally I'd just like to keep things simpler and just have a single team instead of multiple teams running different programs for the same reason.

1. We run a team at Tech reaction with less then 20 crunchers and we put up some pretty good numbers. If you can crunch, you should. I don't see why having few people should discourage anyone from starting up a team...
2. Well... You aren't really running them for the same reason. WCG covers a wide range of things that you crunch numbers for, and as already explained the CPU client is very efficient and play nice with the f@h gpu client. So running both should not be a problem.

But the team is already set up :) So those who feel like being founders of a WCG team, I encourage you to put your CPU's on the team. ****... if you just use this as a stability test, that's fine with me too :silly:

edit: And I am sorry to hear that hefemeister... i7 920's are BEASTS at WCG....

1. What is done at Tech Reaction has no bearing what so ever what we do here. AT ALL. So please refrain from using that in your arguement. What is done on other sites does not and will not cause us to do anything. We are Tech-Forums, not Tech Reaction. Different site, different owner, different administration.

2. The choice is there for them. LET THEM DECIDE. You gave the information and that is all you can do. We dont push people into folding, we will not allow people to be pushed to crunch. We may make some comments here and there about folding or whatever, but we do not actively try to force anyone to do it. Most of the time the folding comments are made to people who are or were folders at one time.

I am happy you found something that you like to use your spare CPU Cycles for. I am glad that you think it is a worthy cause. I thank you for getting the proper information and getting someone here to try and help answer some of the obscure questions asked. But trying to push people to do it is where the line is drawn. The constant mention of another site and their participation is wrong. They are not us.

The choice is here and people can take it if they wish to do this instead of folding. If it gets enough crunchers and grows like F@H was for us at a point in time, then we will look at doing something for it. Until then this topic will serve as the main topic for WGC.

What I don't get is why you say you can do this while your gpu folds?

I think yous don't realize is the the CPU client is still the important client for folding, and without the cpu, uni-cores and smps, the gpus are useless, Which are still only beta.

Also, what you don't seem to understand is the science might be different, but the causes are the same... Yes, there are a few other sciences done, but the core stuff is very simular.
From your description, it seems the only real difference is how points are awarded, ie lots of points for cpu work... Which is a sad reason for doing any of these projects.

"crunch" or "fold" or scan for ET, its your power so do what you want... just make sure youre not sprouting mis-info on them.

Once again, the forum seems to be a population which isn't able to do theses activities, so don't expect a big population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom