Workstations: Apple vs. Windows

G9

Daemon Poster
Let's take it to the workstation level. You are a professional graphics and web developer in need of power for running web developing programs and resource-consuming 3D rendering programs. Which computer is for you?

A Quad 3.4ghz Power Mac G5, pumped up to full configurations, or a top-notch Windows computer?

Setting money aside, which will be better for you? Apple or Windows?

Let's see. A good media machine with a few games that costs around 2,000 dollars, and mostly non upgradeable or something that is upgradeable at the cost of all the games being only on Windows..... I go with the PC. No questions asked, PC wins hands down. "Look we released a really cool graphics card and a great processor, all in all a great machine, but we have no good games available for you to test out our great stuff on." Yea, no thanks. :rolleyes:

Windows, you can have an 8-way Opteron setup with a whole bunch of RAM, a couple of 147GB Cheetahs in RAID. And there you go, a nice workstation, with a Nvidia Quadro or something.

Considering how much Windows crashes, and how fast apple is, which is better? Sorry if I sound biased... I am just interested in apple as I have never worked with one extensively before. I'm all windows :p

Windows gets owned by Apple Mac OS X Tiger so badly that it's not even funny. IBM owns all and since Apple uses PCI-E now, so much the better. :D The only bad thing is the price.

G9 said:
Considering how much Windows crashes

...Why does everyone say that? I've used Windows on this PC for months which isn't that high spec (AMD 64 3500+, 6600GT, 512RAM), and it's never crashed once?

I used to have a MAC and hated everything about it...No games or anything were compatible, i seriously sucked. They look cool and the OS is snazzy but i don't see what's so imressive beyond that? I don't know anything about the technical aspect of them though, i'm pretty thick about that.

I did work in a Graphics place for a couple of weeks for work experiance and they had G5's and stuff...i still didn't see what was good apart from them looking cool no matter how all the chaps there raved about how great they are. All graphics studios and stuff seem to use them though???

I don't know if this is right or not but is it fair to argue that Windows does actually have to deal with a lot more crap than the MAC OS's because it supports so much more software and hardware and is used by more, less computer literate people?...i don't know if that's riht, but is that why it is apparently 'less stable'???

It's the truth... on my side of the line. I've never heard of a Mac crashing O.O

my dell only crashed when i put the ATi 9200 and didnt update the drivers that was the ONLY time if seen the blue screen of death ever.

I'm not talking about blue screens, just freezing of programs, and having to ctrl+alt+delete to non-responsive programs.

Back
Top Bottom