workflow question

chrissyb

Beta member
I have to install a new XP machine on a peer to peer and transfer files and settings from a win 98 machine to the new machine. I appreciate there is a number of ways to acheive this - but I'm unsure of the best way? I was thinking the most robust way would be to transfer all files and settings to removeable media first - I could upload to ftp but thought using perhaps DVD by way of a back up was more sensible. Then I could install the new machine on the network and transfer the files.

I've not worked with a 98 machine for a while does it have files and settings transfer wizard - and is this indeed the best way to proceed?

Hope you can help?

you need to put the xp cd in and then when the menu comes up press settings and files wizard. Then save to floppy/ect and run the wizard on the xp cd, easy.

I believe if you check you will find that the transfer wizard works across a crossover cable or a network, not by floppy transfer. The floppy is used to enable the machines to transfer.

You have the answer in your XP computer...
Open the help console and type remote desktop, read all the results...
Don't forget to look for detailed instuctions to place the xp cd (it must be placed on the W98 computer), but XP help is clear and will tell you...

Thanks for your replys folks - I did think remote desktop was something different - but can acheive the same thing? Transferring files between XP PC's is easy, but in the end it was easier for me to drag and drop data folders for programs and e-mail contacts/e-mails over the network and obviously you have to reinstall programs anyway especially where programs/drivers were pre XP.

I hope this makes sense. Love you all.

Back
Top Bottom